Mountain Project Logo

gear placement practice

Original Post
brian n · · Manchester, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 91

I'm looking for a good place in the Puget Sound area, Seattle-ish or south or west to practice gear placements.

Ideal criteria:

1 ground level

2 variety of size placement opportunities close together.  

3 open to the public

4 not a big approach

5 not crowded on week days

I have about 10 pitches of following trad and years of sport climbing with leads up to 5.9.  I'm looking to get into trad and have some new gear to scuff up.

PS - I live in  Kitsap, if that helps regarding location.

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365
brian n wrote:

I'm looking for a good place in the Puget Sound area, Seattle-ish or south or west to practice gear placements.

Ideal criteria:

1 ground level

2 variety of size placement opportunities close together.  

3 open to the public

4 not a big approach

5 not crowded on week days

I have about 10 pitches of following trad and years of sport climbing with leads up to 5.9.  I'm looking to get into trad and have some new gear to scuff up.

PS - I live in  Kitsap, if that helps regarding location.

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but if you make your way out to Leavenworth and set a top rope up on some of the climbs at Barneys Rubble, 8 mile dome, X/Y crag, etc....you can practice TRing and placing and testing your gear while actually climbing, and in a relatively safe outdoor environment.  In my opinion, this is the absolute best way to learn, assuming you have already had a guide or experienced friend show you how to place gear and evaluate your Gear placement. Most of these crags are right off the road and flat.  

Goat Slayer · · Olympia, WA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Go the the Elwhall and climb sport / mock trad lead.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply