Squamish travel: opinions wanted

Original Post
JSH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 960

Main question: Better to fly into Seatac and rent car there, or fly into Vancouver?

Suggested lodging options for  Squamish?

I've been there twice before,  once on road trip and once by way of Seattle,  but it's been a few. years.

Thanks!

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365
JSH wrote:

Main question: Better to fly into Seatac and rent car there, or fly into Vancouver?

Suggested lodging options for  Squamish?

I've been there twice before,  once on road trip and once by way of Seattle,  but it's been a few. years.

Thanks!

Obviously Vancouver is more convenient, but tends to be more expensive than SeaTac. You'll want to rent a car either way.  I drive to Squamish all the time from Seattle. It takes 4.5 to 5.5 hours depending on traffic. You are looking at 1.5 to 2.5 from Vancouver airport depending on traffic. Camping is out of control.  If you can reserve a site somewhere before do so.  If you like the finer things in life there are some good airbnbs in the area.  Best of luck 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

If you go into Seatac, rent off-airport. A little bit of a pain, but much cheaper. IIRC, Seatac has the highest local taxes and airport fees for car rentals in the country.

FosterK · · Edmonton, AB · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 40

I don't think you need to rent a car necessarily. If you're based out of town, like say the Adventure Inn, then both the bluffs and the chief are within walking distance (About 20 and 45 minutes respectively). I found the bus from Van airport fairly inexpensive and it drops you right off at the Adventure Centre in town.

If you're trying to get to some stuff further up the Sea to Sky like Chek or Area 44, then yeah, a car is an absolute. 

wonderwoman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 84
Marc801 C wrote:

If you go into Seatac, rent off-airport. A little bit of a pain, but much cheaper. IIRC, Seatac has the highest local taxes and airport fees for car rentals in the country.

Thank you for this info!  Perfect timing for my trip,

Tiff -- last time I went we used Fox car rentals, which was an upstart at the time, off-airport and cheap.  When are you guys there?

Thanks, everybody!

JSH wrote:

Tiff -- last time I went we used Fox car rentals, which was an upstart at the time, off-airport and cheap.  When are you guys there?

Thanks, everybody!

8/6 - 20.  You?

Josh already rented the car.  But if it IS that much more expensive, we will see about moving the reservation to offsite. 

We haven't actually made travel plans yet, but likely 8/14ish for a few days.  Let's brewpub at the very least, if we can't get our frankenlimbs out together?  

(titanium sisters, activate!)

JSH wrote:

We haven't actually made travel plans yet, but likely 8/14ish for a few days.  Let's brewpub at the very least, if we can't get our frankenlimbs out together?  

(titanium sisters, activate!)

Yes, indeedy!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply