Helmet Strap Irritation


Original Post
Jonny d · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 0

Every time I'm outside, I come back with a huge irritated area under my chin from where my helmet's chinstrap chafes; shaving is a real pain for a week or so afterward.  Anyone have the same issue and find a workable solution for it (apart from ditching the lid, which is not happening)?  I've tried applying a Band-Aid there before putting on the helmet, but that's only given minor relief.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15

Your strap shouldn't be tight, in case it is. It should fit fairly loosely over the chin.

JFM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,658

you can get a piece of soft fabric and attach thin strips of velcro to it such that it wraps around the strap and protects your chin. or loosen the strap a bit ;)

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120

Look for cheap, stretchy fabric hairbands, like 1/4-1/2" webbing rated for nothing, lol!

Chop a bit off and you've got a sleeve you can slip on your strap.

Best, OLH

Buddy Smith · · GA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 40

Moleskin Adhesive squares. Cut to size. 

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 0

Grow a beard.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 1,865
JFM wrote:

you can get a piece of soft fabric and attach thin strips of velcro to it such that it wraps around the strap and protects your chin. or loosen the strap a bit ;)

Some helmets come with a piece like this.  I have one I don't use.  OP - do you want it?  It will fit typical straps (up to, say 3/4" wide) and is a bit less than 3" long.

Another thought - scrub the chin strap with an old toothbrush and warm soapy water from time to time.  Mine accumulates a remarkable amount of (presumably bacteria-harboring) spooge.

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 25

Personally I have the very basic helmet test criteria. I wear my helmet car-2-car. If I can feel there's something on my head while wearing it I need another helmet.

Helmet has to be at least 100% comfortable.

Bryce Adamson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 38

Mine doesn't chafe at all. Sounds like your strap is too tight, made poorly, or you're allergic to something in the strap.

trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 0

Use AstroGlide on your chin

Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0
trevor stuart · · Aurora, Colorado · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 10

I put a couple layers of tape around the plastic and that stopped it from irritating my skin

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45
Pavel Burov wrote:

Personally I have the very basic helmet test criteria. I wear my helmet car-2-car. If I can feel there's something on my head while wearing it I need another helmet.

Helmet has to be at least 100% comfortable.

I agree.  Never had any issues remotely like what you are describing nor felt the need to add extra components.  Honestly, I usually forget it's there after wearing for a few minutes.  Either loosen the chin strap or get a new helmet.

David Coley · · UK · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0
Jonny d wrote:

Every time I'm outside, I come back with a huge irritated area under my chin from where my helmet's chinstrap chafes; shaving is a real pain for a week or so afterward.  Anyone have the same issue and find a workable solution for it (apart from ditching the lid, which is not happening)?  I've tried applying a Band-Aid there before putting on the helmet, but that's only given minor relief.

David Coley · · UK · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

Cut a piece of cloth and sew to form a 2 inch tube and pass the chin strap through it. Works for me

Jesse Coonce · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0
grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

Grow a beard.

This actually can cause problems (at least for me).  When I have some longer stubble I find my strap will often times "pull" on the stubble, it can be pretty uncomfortable, but I've never had a rash or had my face worn raw from it like the O.P., that sounds quite uncomfortable.

Zabadoo · · Grand Rapids, MI · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

Have you tried washing the straps?  If it was me I would think that it is likely to be more than just chafing.  My three culprits are usually, chaffing, sweating, AND residual chemicals.  If I let my sweat build up and it chafes it will irritate.  If I sweat and there are residual chemicals from either detergents or the manufacturing process it will irritate.  If I let sweat build on something that has residual chemicals on it and chafes...

I would get after it with some soapy water and rinse really well.  I have skin that is sensitive to chemicals and find this often helps.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply