Mountain Project Logo

August RMNP trip

Original Post
Kaela Todd · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 0

Hey,

My boyfriend and I are trying to plan a Colorado bouldering trip for a week in August. Right now we're thinking RMNP, but not entirely certain. Are there good camping options near RMNP? I've seen that you can camp in the park, but it seems pricey and I don't know if there are still campsites available. Also, is there a limit on how many people are admitted to the park on any given day? Alternatively, if anyone can recommend other good summer bouldering areas in Colorado, we'd appreciate it! Thanks

Nick Andrasik · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

There are no limits on daily park admittance.

Dharma Bum · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 585

While there are no limits on park admission, Bear Lake Road closes to vehicles once the parking lots fill.  This typically happens on weekends after 9AM.  After that you need to take the shuttle bus from town.  Camping spots are usually reserved months in advance. 

Max Forbes · · Vermont & Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 114

Lists of available campsites can be found on the RMNP website through October. There's also a number of climber bivvies that can be reserved by calling for a code to use online. Typically much more availability in these campsites since they are tent free. Cheepish and free camping can be found in and around Estes Park and in surrounding national forest. A few threads have been made regarding camping around here I'm sure you can sure for. 

Ian CB · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 4,035

There are walk in sites available in the park at a couple different spots, you just have to catch them when they are available.  Moraine Park is nice and a good location.  If you plan on bouldering up out of the bear lake parking (chaos canyon and Emerald lake) make sure to wake up early as the parking lot will fill up by 9 at the latest.  Alternatively you can go up in the later afternoon, or take a park and ride shuttle from lower on the road (which kinda sucks but is doable). If it is a holiday I wouldn't even consider climbing in the park.

Ryan Nevius · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 904

Bear Lake parking lot has been filling up by 8:00 most days this summer. Definitely try to get up there as early as possible. There is the option of taking the free park shuttle once the lot fills up...but that may be inconvenient/impossible if you have a bunch of crash pads.

Colin Zimmerman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 30

Towards, or maybe within, Allenspark there are 1 or two first come campgrounds.  I know one is called Mt Meeker Campground, just down from the church on the rock.  Not exactly close, but its an option.  In town there is Marys Lake RV, but its exactly as it sounds, an RV with tent pads on certain sections.  There isn't much for you to be able to throw a tent outside the park proper.  But if you sleep in a van or car then there are plenty of dirt forest roads around to just drive down and find a pulloff (I do that often with my van).

The buses from the parking lot will require you to take the pad off, but it will fit if you keep it by your feet and not hit people with it.  Everytime I take a pad I have to ride the bus, or I see people with pads.  It's doable.  Just be ready for people to ask you what it is for.

Cheers.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply