Where to move in mountain west that is cheap and near climbing?

Original Post
builttospill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0

The lease where I currently has ended rather unexpectedly (long story).  I work remotely and don't need anything except electricity and internet.  I'm looking for a place to move for a year or a little longer that meets the following criteria:

1. Cheap rent for a 1-2 bed house (by far the most important).  $700 or under for 1 bedroom.

2. Near decent mountains to hike with my dog.  Good trad climbing a plus, but a lesser consideration.

3. Within the very broad area of CO, Idaho, Wyoming, southern Montana, northern AZ, northern NM, WA, OR, CA. 

My ideal place would be a cheap house, somewhere about 20 miles outside a smaller town, with nice hiking within a 10-20 minute drive.

Hoping that someone here has some suggestions for where to look.

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120

Your broad area is pretty broad! 

You probably could get that in quite a lot of places, with careful shopping. In Idaho, Ketchum/Sun Valley are the priciest, followed by Boise. It drops down quickly from there.

Get outside of either of those, and your requirements would be pretty easy to meet. You might find something okay, even in Boise. Dunno. You can Google rents easily enough.

Housing in Boise is quite high right now, but only for our area and wages. People coming from other areas is part of the problem, plus, just booming in general  Foothill hiking starts in the City limits, blocks from downtown. 

Local climbing (about ten miles from downtown) includes plenty of trad, YMMV on what you consider "decent".

Hopefully this will help pop up some responses, but you really have a huge swathe of territory there. Just look at some maps, take your pick, and start checking rents.

There have been oodles of "best place for climbers to live" threads. Usually Utes and CO arguing back and forth. "Best" usually comes at a price. "Reasonable"? A whole bunch opens up.

Want low rent? Don't look in the rich kids neighborhood.

Best, OLH

Zach Holt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 50

Bonners Ferry, Idaho would meet all of that. Fantastic hiking in amazing mountains with little to no people in them. Definitely some Trad climbing just out your doorstep as well. 

Altitude adjustment · · SLC,Utah · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0
Zach Holt wrote:

Bonners Ferry, Idaho would meet all of that

I went to school right next to Bonners Ferry. Cool town, great skiing, endless hiking possibilities. Don't know about climbing there but there's definitelyrock to be found. Since this post was on MP I'd imagine climbing was a big draw for where you want to live. Salt Lake has prime climbing but living outside city limits would put you out by park city. You'd stay occupied climbing for a lifetime. Hiking with your dog is a challenge because a lot of canyons are watersheds which ban dogs, still plenty of other places to hike though. If you're in the area and want to climb, PM me!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply