Boulder / Louisville / Lafayette - Moving Advice

Original Post
DEF · · Boston, MA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 5

Moving to Colorado and will be working in Boulder in mid September.  I'd prefer to live in Boulder but weighing the cheaper options of Louisville and Lafayette.  Office is pretty much in central Boulder.  I've got a car but would prefer an easy commute.  Proximity to climbing I'm less concerned about.  I'm in Boston now and drive close to two hours to get anywhere decent, an extra 20 minutes to Boulder Canyon or Eldo won't kill me. 

Biggest concern is.. what are the towns like?  Bars/Breweries/Restaurants?  Good climbing gyms?  Plethora of young singles?

Appreciate advice from anybody who's bounced around and has strong opinions one way or another - thanks!

crackatoa Spiesbach · · Boulder,Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 65

Having Made the move a few months ago myself my advice is this... For the first year go all in.. Move to boulder.. being able to walk/ride a bike to work is wonderful.. being able to walk/bike to climbing is wonderful.. Don't let people shit on this town it's really awesome. There are a ton  great breweries in town... All those towns are nice.. you can't really go wrong with any of them but me and the fiancé decided it was worth it to give living in boulder a shot and that if we felt we could deal with moving a bit out of town then we would in a year... We have absolutely no desire to do so( untill we decide to buy a house at which point the market may dictate our living area a bit more) Though I'm still hoping for a real estate crash come on trump!

Fyi we found a nice two bedroom duplex in north boulder for 1600 a month.. so you can find decent rent esp if you find a roommate.. 

Appreciate that feedback, echoes what another CO friend told me.  I definitely don't buy into the Boulder trash talk.  I'm looking mostly at North Boulder and Gunbarrel which seem more reasonable, and distance from the college is a good thing.

John mac · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 15
DEF wrote:

Appreciate that feedback, echoes what another CO friend told me.  I definitely don't buy into the Boulder trash talk.  I'm looking mostly at North Boulder and Gunbarrel which seem more reasonable, and distance from the college is a good thing.

I'd just caution that Gunbarrel has quite a different vibe than Boulder proper.  Nothing wrong with it, but it feels like a suburb of Boulder.  Lousivlle is not much cheaper than Boulder.  It's nice though as is Lafayette.

Stephen Felker · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 310

Definitely rent a place in town for a year.  Small but central.  Then decide whether moving east is worth it.  

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 10

Boulder is expensive but a great place to live for a young single person.

The 'burbs are, well, the burbs. Lots of older married people with kids. Not bad but can be a little dull. 

T G · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

A few things:

1) Even if you choose to live in Lafayette or Louisville (the latter would be my preference of the two- I live in Boulder) you can certainly commute to work by bike. My partner commutes to Louisville every single day from Boulder either on a road bike or on a mountain bike via dirt. I don't know of too many places you can commute to work by mountain bike almost exclusively on trails. In general the bike commuting in and around Boulder is incredible- some of the best in the country. Paths get plowed before roads in the winter and there are many parts of town you can avoid intersections and traffic lights altogether due to the network of paths.

2) Louisville has a cute, walkable center of town with lots of restaurants and a good brewery. The blocks surrounding the center of town have an old-town Americana feel with bungalows and porches. Really comfortable. And Louisville has a new climbing gym at the tech center. As stated- not that much cheaper than Boulder, but a good place to live if you don't mind being a bit farther east of the foothills.

3) "Inner" Gunbarrel closer to the eastern edge of Boulder is changing and there are a couple of breweries and nice places to eat. "Outer" Gunbarrel is definitely more of a suburban vibe and somewhat removed from the walkable core of Boulder, but then it's also closer to some of the rural areas outside of town. Just depends what you want. It's not by any means out of the way.

4) The driving commute into and out of Boulder these days is pretty bad-- not by Boston or Atlanta standards, but bad for Boulder. Typically by 3-4pm any major road heading south or east out of town (including back to Gunbarrel) are jammed solid clear into central Boulder until the evening commute tapers off around 6-6:30p. I don't remember what the estimated number of daily in-commuters is now, but it's in the range of 45-50,000. Ironically that's not much of a change since 2000 or so, but for some reason the traffic is backing up a lot more.

crackatoa Spiesbach · · Boulder,Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 65
Silverplume wrote:

A few things:

1) Even if you choose to live in Lafayette or Louisville (the latter would be my preference of the two- I live in Boulder) you can certainly commute to work by bike. My partner commutes to Louisville every single day from Boulder either on a road bike or on a mountain bike via dirt. I don't know of too many places you can commute to work by mountain bike almost exclusively on trails. In general the bike commuting in and around Boulder is incredible- some of the best in the country. Paths get plowed before roads in the winter and there are many parts of town you can avoid intersections and traffic lights altogether due to the network of paths.

2) Louisville has a cute, walkable center of town with lots of restaurants and a good brewery. The blocks surrounding the center of town have an old-town Americana feel with bungalows and porches. Really comfortable. And Louisville has a new climbing gym at the tech center. As stated- not that much cheaper than Boulder, but a good place to live if you don't mind being a bit farther east of the foothills.

3) "Inner" Gunbarrel closer to the eastern edge of Boulder is changing and there are a couple of breweries and nice places to eat. "Outer" Gunbarrel is definitely more of a suburban vibe and somewhat removed from the walkable core of Boulder, but then it's also closer to some of the rural areas outside of town. Just depends what you want. It's not by any means out of the way.

4) The driving commute into and out of Boulder these days is pretty bad-- not by Boston or Atlanta standards, but bad for Boulder. Typically by 3-4pm any major road heading south or east out of town (including back to Gunbarrel) are jammed solid clear into central Boulder until the evening commute tapers off around 6-6:30p. I don't remember what the estimated number of daily in-commuters is now, but it's in the range of 45-50,000. Ironically that's not much of a change since 2000 or so, but for some reason the traffic is backing up a lot more.

I commute from gunbarell to central boulder... it takes 15 minutes from my office across from Avery to get to the pearl st area.. maybe 25 to be up in the canyon.. there is traffic in an out of town but I don't seem to see it affecting me very much.. 

Appreciate the feedback guys - just signed a lease on a place in Gunbarrel, seemed like the right balance between paying a premium in the middle of boulder and being too far out in one of the other burbs.  I'm sure between my car and bike I won't feel like I'm too far out of the mix.

Joni Renee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 0

I'm a realtor in Boulder with a few rental properties (in Boulder and beyond).  Give me a call and I'll give you some beta on the areas.

Joni - 720-365-7302

www.JoniReneeRealty.com

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply