Support your local Mtn Shop, even if it costs more.

Original Post
Christian George · · Ridgway CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Well, I'm no fan of the Three letter company that owns this site, and I will never shop there again, but what just happened with Backcountry.com has me stamping my feet. 

A month ago I placed an order for some dogbones and a new grigri. They sent a confirmation email, but never a tracking number. A week went by so I called. 

They said that order didn't go through, just order it again. So I did. 

Then they ship me the grigri and 3 of the 12 dogbones. Their website says two packages delivered but only one came. Supposedly there is 8 dogbones in that one. 

So what about the 12th bone?

Tough luck bro. 

Their website said there were plenty in stock. 

So I'm leaving on my trip in an hour and only have three draws. 

I called to see what was up and the guy was not helpful. I asked to speak to a supervisor and he wanted to argue with me and didn't transfer me to a supervisor. 

When we accept bad service it only hurts our fellow climbers who have to deal with them in the future. 

Vote with your wallet. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
Christian George wrote:

Well, I'm no fan of the Three letter company that owns this site, and I will never shop there again, but what just happened with Backcountry.com has me stamping my feet. 

A month ago I placed an order for some dogbones and a new grigri. They sent a confirmation email, but never a tracking number. A week went by so I called. 

They said that order didn't go through, just order it again. So I did. 

Then they ship me the grigri and 3 of the 12 dogbones. Their website says two packages delivered but only one came. Supposedly there is 8 dogbones in that one. 

So what about the 12th bone?

Tough luck bro. 

Their website said there were plenty in stock. 

So I'm leaving on my trip in an hour and only have three draws. 

I called to see what was up and the guy was not helpful. I asked to speak to a supervisor and he wanted to argue with me and didn't transfer me to a supervisor. 

When we accept bad service it only hurts our fellow climbers who have to deal with them in the future. 

Vote with your wallet. 

What's your beef with REI?

aaron hope · · Walnut Creek, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 180

Sorry to hear that. I don't know about your specific situation, but I've been ordering from Backcountry.com for years and I've had nothing but great service and super quick and accurate delivery. 

Hector Luevano · · San Diego, CA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Sucks to hear they dropped the ball on you. I have been ordering from them for years and they have consistently followed through with incredible customer service and competitive prices. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, but I will continue to shop with them until they let me down. 

I suspect they will work to resolve your issues with them.

RandyLee · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

My only beef with them is how often they call to say "Your representative has left the company, but here's my phone number and email address, let me know if you need anything". I work in Reality TV and I have to answer numbers that I don't know since they might be work. Stepping away from set for those Backcountry calls gets annoying. Sorry to hear they messed your order up so badly.

And that is exactly why they get away with it. 

I have ordered over 10k worth of stuff from them over the years too. 

Everyone makes mistakes, I let the first one slide. But the snotty attitude of the guy on the phone was unacceptable. 

Do what you want, but don't say I didn't warn you. 

Marc801 C wrote:

What's your beef with REI?

How much time have you got?

I could write a book. 

But they own this site and I'm not going to type it all out only to have it deleted. 

Chase D · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

"Never buy from backcountry.com" 

That was click bait, you caught me. I guarantee you won't convince anyone to "never buy from backcountry.com". Like everyone else I've been buying from them for years and have had nothing but great service. Sorry you had a bad experience but this thread won't accomplish anything

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45
RandyLee wrote:

My only beef with them is how often they call to say "Your representative has left the company, but here's my phone number and email address, let me know if you need anything". I work in Reality TV and I have to answer numbers that I don't know since they might be work. Stepping away from set for those Backcountry calls gets annoying. Sorry to hear they messed your order up so badly.

Yeah, the whole "representative" thing is weird.  I was watching for the Blancos to go on sale in my size and asked about it on their website...next thing I know, I'm getting a call a few weeks later when they came back in stock and being asked if I want to place an order.  While I appreciated the update, cold calling customers is a bit much.

That said, customer service has always been fine and they often run pretty good sales.  At the end of the day, as long as they can reliably deliver products (which they have for me) and offer competitive prices, I'll still order from them.

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,415

You've bought 10k worth of gear from backcountry but it's 8 missing dog bones that spiked your trip?

There has to be a story there!

Daniel Roberts · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0
Christian George wrote:

I could write a book. 

But they own this site and I'm not going to type it all out only to have it deleted. 

i'm more curious now, please go on

Graden Swett · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 70

I guess there wasn't a local shop in Colorado that could have got you set up

Matt Pierce · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 183

You do realize that SHIT HAPPENS right? I've been using them for years and never had an issue. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
Christian George wrote:

I could write a book. 

They really don't care. There was that other anti-REI thread a few months ago that was untouched by them.

Mike Mellenthin · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0
Ted Pinson wrote:

Yeah, the whole "representative" thing is weird.  I was watching for the Blancos to go on sale in my size and asked about it on their website...next thing I know, I'm getting a call a few weeks later when they came back in stock and being asked if I want to place an order.  While I appreciated the update, cold calling customers is a bit much.

That said, customer service has always been fine and they often run pretty good sales.  At the end of the day, as long as they can reliably deliver products (which they have for me) and offer competitive prices, I'll still order from them.

A friend of mine was doing the same thing with some ~$300 shovel/beacon/probe package a few years ago. He eventually decided not to buy it. Then a month later it shows up on his doorstep with a hand written note from the rep he talked to saying something along the lines of "thanks for shopping at backcountry here's a free gift".

Internet retail is weird man.

Kyle Elliott · · Everett, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 355

I have been ordering from BackCountry for years and never had an issue. I prefer them over REI (too limited/lack of brand diversity)  but that "gearhead" thing they got going on is weird. 

100% just ship my order and don't call my phone while I am at work. kthnxbye. 

Gil Xiong · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Been transitioning over from REI to BC.com and have been happy.  

OP, were you charged in full for the order?  I usually like to pop in and look at the status of an order day in day out. I'll give a call or CHAT if the order is not progressing.  

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,415

Man... I am surprised that backcountry is calling you guys.  

Graden Swett wrote:

I guess there wasn't a local shop in Colorado that could have got you set up

The local shop is 40 minutes in the opposite direction as the airport. 

And yes, they will get 100% of my business from now on. 

mpech · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 6

I've had nothing but good experiences with backcountry over a multi-year period. 

If they've identified you as a loyal/big customer, they will assign you a specific representative (don't know how much you have to buy for this to happen, but I know it exists). Talk to that rep, if you have one.

Remo · · Madison, WI · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 12,730

Simple answer, support your local gear shop and don't buy online.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply