Retention cable on Rock Exotica Soloist Fraying

Original Post
Skye Swoboda-Colberg · · Laramie, Wyoming · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 110

Here is a photo of the model in question. My device is starting to get beat up from daily use, and the metal cable connecting the retention pin to the aluminum housing is frayed. I estimate that 1/3 of the individual wires are now cut, certainly not confidence inspiring for a solo device. The cord that connects the cam to the retention pin is replaceable, but the cable is not. I will follow up with the manufacturer to see if they can fix/replace the cable, but I doubt they can help me as they no longer manufacture this device. Has anyone encountered this issue with their own soloist? Any nifty fixes that don't involve drilling a hole in the housing where the cable goes? I'll try to upload a photo of my device, but I'm still in the dark ages technology wise.

md3 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 10

The cable always breaks and is a design flaw.  Just cut it off, sand down the stub and tether the pin to where you attach the device to your harness.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 1,865

It would be an easy fix for anyone with a light duty swager, like the one in the Cam Doctor (trigger wire repair kit). BUT I can't see how the end of the cable is fixed into the body of the device.  It's probably epoxied in there but that could be a PITA to get out.

Edit "sanding down" a snipped cable, LOL.

Thanks md3, that looks like a pretty slick setup.

climb 2 smile · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 135

+1 to MD3's fix with a minor addition, I Gorilla taped the stub of the snipped cable (I didn't file / sand down too aggressively)  to prevent the wire stub from catching anything.

MD3 I like your cord attachment, I think I'll try that versus two pieces the next time I replace the cord.

Also I had an early model of the soloist that did the same thing. I contacted them when they were still in business and they refused to repair it with the response that if the cable frayed the device should probably be replaced. Fair enough and understandable from their position.   The replacement, in the photo, ended up doing the same thing. 

M Hanna · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Not sure if the Soloist is the same method, but I have several RE devices that utilize a deeply set tiny hex head allen set screw to retain the cable. I have replaced these many times over the years. Might be worth a closer look. 

MH

M Hanna wrote:

Not sure if the Soloist is the same method, but I have several RE devices that utilize a deeply set tiny hex head allen set screw to retain the cable. I have replaced these many times over the years. Might be worth a closer look. 

MH

What are RE devices?

RandyLee · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5
Skye Swoboda-Colberg wrote:

What are RE devices?

RE = Rock Exotica.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply