Chattanooga summer

Original Post
bking7 King · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2011 · Points: 5

Hi all!

I'm going to be in Chattanooga from late July to early August on an ER rotation. I'm aware it's going to be hot and certainly humid for a desert boy like me, but does anyone have any suggestions for pre/post work spots to get my pebble wrestling or roped climbing on? Also if anyone is going out looking for new problems, new areas, new pretty rocks, I'm good to hump a pad or a pack of beer around. 

Best

Bennett

Chris Fedorczak · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Disclaimer: I haven't lived in the Southeast for almost a decade, but when I lived in Georgia we used to love going to Foster Falls, TN for sport and Rocktown, GA for bouldering. You are about an hour away from both in Chattanooga. 

July and August in that part of the country sucks though - especially if you aren't used to hot, humid summers. Drink TONS of water, bring a cooler with some cold drinks, go early in the morning, cool off in the water around Foster Falls, etc. I've definitely left the crag a little light headed from heat exhaustion/dehydration in the summer. 

Have fun!

sharyl Crossley · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

Stone fort, pep boys and lower Leda are close to downtown and short approaches which are nice for post work stuff.  Lower Leda, sport, bakes in the afternoon & parking closes at 7pm I think (should be posted).

DanielJames · · Custer, SD · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 95

Sunset Park on Lookout Mountain is great for summer, extremely close and ideal for after work climbs.  It's single pitch trad area but for part of it you can easily thrown down top ropes.  It is entirely shaded in afternoon, making it actually pretty decent even in summer.  

bruno-cx · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 20

Lookout Mountain, hope you like poison ivy. I'd go kayaking instead.

Punter Brewster · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined May 2009 · Points: 55

It's miserable here right now, but keep an eye out for any days with lower temps and humidity which may be bearable. The areas are covered pretty well already, but I'll add that getting out for dawn patrol (first light) is clutch when attempting to climb in these parts July/August.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply