Mountain Project Logo

Climb for Science! - NC State research study

Original Post
Anne McLaughlin · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 201

This study is being run out of North Carolina State University with collaboration from faculty at CSU. 

We are looking for trad leaders comfortable at 5.8 who might already be intending to lead the climb "I, Robot" in Boulder Canyon.

We are building mathematical models that predict where experts deploy their attention. We will collect helmet camera footage from traditional lead climbers and code what cues them to devote attention to different tasks and different areas of the scene.

If you agree to participate in this study, you will be asked to use a helmet camera on a trad climb at Happy Hour Crag in Boulder Canyon. When you finish your climb, you will be asked to review the footage with us and talk through where you were looking during the climb and why. You will also be asked to fill out a short online survey asking questions such as your age and experience in traditional lead climbing. 

Most data collection occurs 6-9am to avoid the crowds, stay in the shade, and get the climb in before people have to head to work. We'll be collecting data through the end of next week. There is no monetary compensation.

If you're interested in learning more, please send me a message. You can view my lab website at lacelab.org 

*edited to add more information*

H Lue · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 10

Is this there any compensation being offered? 

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

Who is "we"? Can you share more about this study? Not that "for Science!" Isnt compelling, but it's pretty vague...

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Em Cos wrote:

Who is "we"? Can you share more about this study? Not that "for Science!" Isnt compelling, but it's pretty vague...

https://acmclaug.wordpress.ncsu.edu/

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Climb for Science! - NC State research study"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started