Mountain Project Logo

Road to Big Sandy Recreation Area

Original Post
M.Ish · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15

I'm driving up to climb in the wind river range this weekend from Utah in my Mazda this weekend. I've read that the road to the Big Sandy trailhead from Farson, WY is not paved, and I was wondering if I could get some information on the condition of the road. Is it possible for a vehicle with standard clearance and two wheel drive to make it to the trailhead?

Thanks for the help.

Tom Powell · · Ogden, Utah · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

I would call the Pinedale BLM Field Office for specifics. However I have ridden down the road to the trail head in a Honda accord. 

Jack Shaida · · Camden, ME · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

I did it with a Prius last summer no issues, drove real slow. There was a MP post about it a few weeks ago, someone reported the BLM had filled in some of the worst potholes earlier this year. 

Johnny Nubbins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 0

We did it two weeks ago in a 2WD and it was fine. Some rough spots, just drive slow.

Xover · · C-Dub Hts, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 0

More concerned about this year's snow level and access to climbs.  Spoke with an employee at Wild Iris yesterday and he said above 10k there is still a lot of snow (i.e. 300% of normal snowpack this year).  He also said a lot of parties are having to change their plans this year.  Anyone got any recent beta?  Johnny Nubs?  Was just planning to do the North Face of Haystack.  Thanks in advance!

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 225
Xover wrote:

More concerned about this year's snow level and access to climbs.  Spoke with an employee at Wild Iris yesterday and he said above 10k there is still a lot of snow (i.e. 300% of normal snowpack this year).  He also said a lot of parties are having to change their plans this year.  Anyone got any recent beta?  Johnny Nubs?  Was just planning to do the North Face of Haystack.  Thanks in advance!

N Face of Haystack is completely dry. Sporadic snow around Deep Lake but there's great camping above Clear Lake that puts you in a better position to climb the N Face. Be prepared to hit snow if you descend the Grassy Goat Trail. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Road to Big Sandy Recreation Area"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started