Help me with a day or two in Squamish?

Original Post
James Witowsky · · Bend, OR · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

I'm heading up to Whistler at the end of July for a mountain bike trip (meeting friends in Whistler that don't climb) and saw that Squamish is on the way.  My wife and I would love to get a day or two of climbing in enroute so I'm looking for some beta on where you'd think we should camp and climb.  We're mid-11 sport climbers.  What crag(s) would you recommend? Routes? 

Thanks for any info!

James

Shelton Hatfield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 585

It's not Squamish proper, but just up the road on the way to Whistler is Chek. Really featured sport climbs with lots of bolts. Pretty sure you can pitch a tent there as well.

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/chek/105959514

James Witowsky · · Bend, OR · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0
Shelton Hatfield wrote:

It's not Squamish proper, but just up the road on the way to Whistler is Chek. Really featured sport climbs with lots of bolts. Pretty sure you can pitch a tent there as well.

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/chek/105959514

Shelton, that looks pretty darn good.  Thanks.  

I've heard a lot about Squamish but maybe it's a trad destination?

Shelton Hatfield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 585

James, you're welcome. Squamish has quite a lot going for it, including great sport climbs. Sport routes can sometimes be spread out, but there are obvious concentrations here and there. Petrifying Wall is one such spot. One of my personal favorite things about being in Squamish is access to The Chief, which in my opinion really shines due to its multipitch climbing. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of sport routes (especially for a day or two), but I feel most of the "crags" and multipitches seem to be dominated by cracks and slabs.

If you like to boulder, the opportunity that exists in the forest surrounding The Chief is absolutely endless. The concentration and quality of rock is typically quite high. Plenty of people travel there from around the world for extended periods and only boulder.

Hiking to the top of The Chief is quite popular as well.

David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 6

Squamish in-and-of-itself (as a narrow destination) is primarily a trad destination.  But, as others have pointed out, there's lots of sport-climbing nearby, and the Cheakamus Canyon area is the primary sport-climbing area nearby, though there are several other crags as well.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply