Mountain Project Logo

Did your car get towed in Squamish this weekend?

Original Post
Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

I went back to my van for some lunch, and in a half hours time watched 3 cars towed on Saturday.  Parked on the off ramp to the second grand wall parking lot.  Clear sign that says no parking.

just a heads up. Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean you should to.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 13,267

Thanks for the heads up, Dan. It doesn't pay to be a sheep. Sucks that the authorities tow even though they screwed up the parking elsewhere, but it pays to read the signage.

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 162

FYI, my car got towed in the exact same spot 2 weekends ago.  Definitely beware.

While I will definitely acknowledge the "no parking" sign, the parking lots were all completely full, and people were parked in all kinds of non-legit spaces.  It's frustrating because the only other viable option, really, was to not go climbing (and by extension, take my tourism and money elsewhere).  That ramp is where most of the towing seems to happen, I suspect because it's easiest to tow from.  The lesson I learned from the whole thing was basically to park illegally if you have to, but do it in a spot that is less convenient to tow from.  Kind of ridiculous, but whatever.  There are also a whole bunch of places that are obviously not for parking but don't have a sign, so maybe use those?

I think the system of having a 3rd party responsible for parking enforcement via towing is really questionable.  You're basically having a 3rd party doing law enforcement, and they have no reason to have any discretion due to profit motive.  There were probably 50+ cars parked illegally the weekend I was there (Canada Day and the 4th of July) and they towed a handful.  I suspect that if a legitimate enforcement body, like park rangers, were in charge of such a thing, that's make a reasonable decision of "well, we don't have enough parking, and it's a busy holiday weekend, so as long as people aren't blocking critical exits we'll just let is slide."  A towing company has no such motive, as every car they tow buys them more beer.

(Sorry, obviously I am still sore about the whole thing.)

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,045

well, there is only so much parking there.  honestly, i have never had parking issues, but i am not in the crack of noon club. it isnt really that far of a walk from DT squamish either, if you park there. plenty of options it seems.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

The parking up in Squamish this summer is pretty tough if you're not willing to roll out of bed before 9am and you want to climb where everyone else is climbing. 

If you get up earlier or go someplace where everyone isn't, though, it's fine. We have had trouble one time at Murrin, and we just waited it out because we knew what we were in for going there at 2pm on a Saturday. 

Honestly, it's a bit out of control and I'm surprised they're not doing more about it up here. People are just parking wherever, camping wherever, and the residents are pretty annoyed about it. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply