Coolest (temperature) walls in the Valley

Original Post
Sean Anderson · · Nevada City/ Berkeley · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 0

Looking to put down another wall before school starts this August but am trying to not get fully-cooked in the Valley. Any recommendations for routes? Also, if you would like to join my slow-roast, I may be looking for a partner. Looking to spend 2-3 days up there at most

dylan grabowski · · Oakland · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

The beans have been spilled in Sloan's new book. A good wall to avoid summer sun is Sentinel Creek. You might enjoy Hari Kari amidst some other stiffer moderate routes. (EDIT: Just realized you might be talking big wall. If so, I've got no experience in that realm.)

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 200
Sean Anderson wrote:

Looking to put down another wall before school starts this August but am trying to not get fully-cooked in the Valley. Any recommendations for routes? Also, if you would like to join my slow-roast, I may be looking for a partner. Looking to spend 2-3 days up there at most

Grade V or VI?

Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0
dylan grabowski wrote:

The beans have been spilled in Sloan's new book.

Is the book out now?

Sean Anderson · · Nevada City/ Berkeley · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 0

Grade VI, Clean aid (with free climbing is a plus)

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 200
Sean Anderson wrote:

Grade VI, Clean aid (with free climbing is a plus)

No easy answer here given your relatively short time (2-3 day) window...

If you are strong and fast you can do the Shield in that time. Its a mid-summer wall because the headwall is so windy. If you can push through the lower bit fast and get up there you will be thankful for heat.

Fire Free Blast then 2 days to the top would be good time.

West Face of Sentinel is good until mid day. Again a mid-summer wall (but really a grade V) due to deep shade in spring/fall. Challenging wide.

Leaning tower routes....but they bake in afternoon...

Half Dome (ie Ti-sa-ack)...might go that fast with a lot of cams...but the hike.

dylan grabowski · · Oakland · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0
Nate Doyle wrote:

Is the book out now?

Yep, and it's got tons of info. Though, I wish there was more dialogue about the crags and routes... but I don't think Sloan had a Steve Roper-type personality on board.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply