Mountain Project Logo

Tufa Mochilla Packs

Josh Kornish · · Whitefish, MT · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 800

Nate,

I pronounce it "Two-fa", but I also don't correct people when I hear "tough-fa" haha

Technical » Unique » Functional » Λrt

Thanks, Andrew!

The helmet tabs are basically two loops, 1/2" webbing x 3" long.  I thread my helmet buckles through the loops for carrying on approaches.  Great for those who need two attachment points but not full daisy chains.

Couple of new improvements and additions to the D40 Mochilla and X-Pac Mochillas

We're adding an elastic web to the 'Ice Daisy' version to hold crampons and extra layers.  The D40 is extremely durable and crampons won't puncture in the picture configuration.

The compression straps for the roll-top are going to be tucked in the seam to clean up the design a bit and improve load transfer.

Thank you for the support everyone, we really appreciate it!

Josh

B Owens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 60

Got to try out my Mochilla (made from the the X-50 material) for the first time yesterday.   A few hundred feet of scraping up and then rappelling down through tight granite chimneys and dihedrals and nary a scratch.  It also carries well and the build quality is good.  

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Multicam Mochilla, Brandon.  Keep crushing it!

I'm working through the last batch of the D40 Mochillas.

I'm condensing the rock and ice versions into a single daisy chain version better suited to modern tools.  The rest of the daisy chain packs will ship with elastic webs and tool keepers. 

The rest of the daisy chain packs, both rock and ice, will ship with elastic webs.  

Super custom D40 Mochilla going out to a Project member.  First D40 with a draw-cord shroud and maybe my favorite pack yet. 

Custom strippable vinyl gear loops and other custom options available by request.

Locker wrote:

Josh, question about the name Mochilla. Is it pronounced Mo-chill-uh or Mo-chee-yah?

Just wondering...

Mo-chill-uh ;)

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify, Locker.  :)

When you're back in the studio I have some shoes I'd love to have done by the master resoler, himself.

Cheers!

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292

Josh- My X50 multicam is sweet! Going to really test it good this weekend. FFA attempt of 10+ pitches of granite chimney thuggery in Yosemite. Will likely haul it several times, and plan on using the bivy pad. I'll report back!

Max Rausch wrote:

Josh- My X50 multicam is sweet! Going to really test it good this weekend. FFA attempt of 10+ pitches of granite chimney thuggery in Yosemite. Will likely haul it several times, and plan on using the bivy pad. I'll report back!

Psyched for you to give it some abuse, Max!  Sounds like a gnarly project, go crush it!

D40 packs are sold out, just got a cool new fabric called Lite-Skin 42.  

Super psyched on the Lite Skin series designed by Dimension Polyant. A non-woven polyester face laminated on a 420d nylon backing combine to make a lightweight fabric that is abrasion resistant and completely waterproof.

Zach Raney · · Moab · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Stoked to see josh making more badass stuff! I remember my first tufa chalk bag several years ago!

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292
Josh Kornish wrote:

Psyched for you to give it some abuse, Max!  Sounds like a gnarly project, go crush it!

Beat the living hell out of it. Drug it, hauled it and shiver bivy'd on it. Couldn't be happier. 

Been making some small adjustments to the Mochilla design.

New for Spring 2018:

*Improved adjustable sternum strap with four vertical slots for a dialed fit.

*Roll-top compression straps tucked into seams for a cleaner front.

*Rounded back panel corners 

*Logo tucked into the seam to reduce stitch lines on face fabric.

Little iterations, continuous improvement... thank you for your support and feedback, y'all!

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

Just placed an order, I’m psyched.

Tapawingo Markey wrote: Just placed an order, I’m psyched.

Thanks for your support, Tapawingo!  Finished up your Mochilla, it'll be there soon!

Cheers,

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270

Damn that is sexXxy!

Dunder Thunder · · Ventura ca · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 53

Placed my order yesterday!!! 

George Foster · · Durango, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 12

Is there a waistbelt option on the mochilla?

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

It comes with a 3/4” webbing waist belt.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "Tufa Mochilla Packs"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started