Mountain Project Logo

Mt. Evans>Lincoln Lake Towers/Boulders Develop Routes

Original Post
Annie Lo · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I was checking out Lincoln Lake slabs the other day, and went down the wrong path/was drawn to the large rock formations at the far south side of the parking pull out. Rather than hanging a left to get to the slabs and developed bouldering/trad area, I went right to the large stand-alone rock formations directly in front of the parking .25 mi-.5 mi down. 

There are no established paths or routes as far as I can tell, but there is a lot of potential for them.

I haven't developed routes before, but I was so drawn to these boulders, I would love to trek out there and start to.

I did find several families of ground nesting birds, and big horned sheep by these boulders, and there is a lot of undisturbed wildlife and flora. One thing to look out for.

I am not sure what kind of rock it is, but it is a little flakey, and different from the Slabs.

The ground is soft too. I'd want to make sure we take the same path every time, so as not to disturb the environment too much.

The formations are very cool, a range of shapes, slopes , easily accessible, and the approach takes about 20-50 minutes, 20 for the closest boulders, 40-50 for the farther ones. 

Also need advice: What is the protocol for not disturbing the environment? I'll do more research. But if it seems viable, I'd like to start this project.

If this sounds like a project you'd be interested in, let me know and let's get on it! 

ANGUS WIESSNER · · Denver Colorad · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,125

I'll come check it out with you Angus 720 280 0633

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 294

The thing I really enjoy about bouldering is that you can just head out there with a crashpad (or two), wander around, and hop on any line that looks attractive to you. So as long as the rocks are not off limits to climbing, you don't really need anything to "develop" them other than just to start bouldering and creating your own problems. If you want to be recognized for your efforts, maybe document the problems somewhere (MP?). But if you're concerned about environmental impact, and let's face it, climbers will have impact, then don't tell anyone. The choice is really yours.

Edited to add: I assumed you're talking about bouldering, but if you're talking about trad or sport routes, I'm gonna leave it to others more experienced in route development to respond to that.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply