Where were we in CCC?

Original Post
Jonathan Stickel · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 80

I climbed with someone yesterday who wanted to climb at Mourning Glory. We parked after tunnel 5 on the South side of the road and took the bike trail around the bend downriver. We followed a climber's trail with cairns up onto the SW-facing slopes to some bolted routes. Here is roughly where we were:  https://goo.gl/maps/sjoh4YDtZRy . It was clear we were not at Mourning Glory, but we got in some climbs in anyway. What crag is this? Perhaps "The Graveyard"?

Scott Hunt · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 5

Can't recall the name but it's still being developed. I think Mourning Glory is high above.

Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 234

Haven't been to Morning Glory, but I thought the trail took off the bike path just downstream of Fiscal cliff. 

The Graveyard is a new crag in that area described in the Denver Climbing Guide. 

physnchips · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

I saw you guys while I was walking the trail, if you were there mid morning. I think it is "The Graveyard," whatever that is, since it's right next to fiscal cliff. I hadn't noticed much until I saw you up there. Were the climbs there any good? I've been wanting to try out fiscal cliff even though it doesn't get good ratings, and if you liked those other ones in the area I'll have a bit more incentive to finally try them out.

Jonathan Stickel · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 80

Right, I figured out afterward that Mourning Glory is much higher up the slope and is probably better approached from further downstream. 

It did look like a new area. There were a lot of lines with new bolts. For somewhat arbitrary reasons, we tried the climbs on the far right on undulating rock. They were OK -- some of the sections were quite steep, even overhanging, with thin and sharp holds. I'd say one was ~5.9, the others (much) harder. Still some loose rock, and a few holds broke off while we were climbing, so wear helmets! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply