Mountain Project Logo

Road conditions for McGee TH (for Humphries ascent)?

Original Post
everbrad · · Orange County · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

Anyone been up to the McGee creek TH this year (outside bishop for mount Humphries, not the mammoth area spot with similar name)? Looking for road conditions.  Assuming my mid clearance with 4wd isn't going to cut it.  In exchange I'll gladly give you super up to date beta for the courtright forgotten classic captain America! (Hint: sarcasm, there's a new courtright guide, looks awesome locals we ran into had it, and it's the most obvious line on the dome but I'll share if needed).  Thanks in advance.

Ryan Huetter · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 255

Need to go in via the higher 168 access (check out Google Earth, the road is easy to make out from near the Little Egypt parking). The low road though the Buttermilks is impassable just past the Horton TH turnoff.

Pavel K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 108

We took the higher road from near little egypt parking over fourth of july weekend in a Subaru outback. It was probably at the limit of what the car can handle without damage, we made it about 5miles in. There were only a few places where the car struggled (steeper grades with big rocks) and only few places where we scraped the bottom. Long stretches of dirt road in a pretty good shape, one area with huge ruts where you have to pick your line carefully. Biggest problem for me was that the car is manual, has high gearing in the first and the engine doesn't have a lot power so at altitude it can stall on inclines somewhat easily. To summarize, if you clearance at least like a Subaru, try it but expect slow going.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply