Top roping near Ruth Lake or somewhere near by?

Original Post
Mike Washburn · · Orem, Utah · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 30

I'll be taking a small youth group camping and hiking during the week. We'll be camping at Mirror lake and I would like to spend a half day with them climbing. The problem is that although I'll have a couple of other adults with me, neither of them have lead belayed before, so I'm not going to be able lead to set up a top rope. Could anyone suggest somewhere in that area that has walkup top roping? Two or three climbs in the 5.6-5.8 range would be ideal so that we could climb for a morning with out getting bored, although I don't plan on setting up more that one rope at a time. 

Thanks,

Mike

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Hmm a lot of the climbs cannot be reached by walking around the top...your best bet will be the two 5.7s on the main wall. I believe you can lean over and set up a tr on them. OR, you could lead one, and then after your finished with that swing over to the other anchor - they are that close. But be aware of two things 1) those two 5.7s get gangbanged more than a gold camalot in Indian Creek and 2) the area below them has a steep scree field so 15 people won't be able to stand at the base of the climb. Awesome area, have fun, and leave no trace!!

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Fire water and sundog

Thanks for the reply Grog. Anybody else have an idea? I'm open to anything in a 25 mile radius of Mirror lake. 

NickO · · Utah · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 35

There are a few easier routes at Cliff Lake with top access

Laronicus Lehmanold · · Salt Lake, UT · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 295
Mike Washburn wrote:

I'll be taking a small youth group camping and hiking during the week. We'll be camping at Mirror lake and I would like to spend a half day with them climbing. The problem is that although I'll have a couple of other adults with me, neither of them have lead belayed before, so I'm not going to be able lead to set up a top rope. Could anyone suggest somewhere in that area that has walkup top roping? Two or three climbs in the 5.6-5.8 range would be ideal so that we could climb for a morning with out getting bored, although I don't plan on setting up more that one rope at a time. 

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike,

You may want to check out the cliff lake area. IF you are comfortable with leaning over ledges, or anchoring a tree to get to the chains, you  can walk around the east side of the crag to get to the top. Or you can do the same from the west. We had an awesome time last year doing some lichen covered trad routes (5.6-8ish) west of the established routes. 

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/105975649?search=1&type=area&method=resultsPage&query=cliff%20lake

Laron

That's perfect thanks a ton,

Scott Morris · · Bountiful, Utah · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 475

Check out Mosquito Wall. I've led most of the routes there and there seemed to be pretty easy access for setting up TR's. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply