New Boulder Canyon Guide

Original Post
Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 234

Stopped by Rock and Resole today to pick up a shoe and heard that they are having a book signing event on Friday evening (7/21) for the new guide.

Which will hopefully also be available to purchase!

I thumbed through a copy while loitering at the counter. 

It looks well produced although I didn't get a chance to check details like the accuracy of ratings, bolt counts, directions, etc. 

Saw at least a couple of new crags.

Here's the Wolverine site for those interested.

https://www.wolverinepublishing.com/store/boulder-canyon-rock-climbs/

Lots of great photos of Robyn, still crushing it.

physnchips · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

I got mine yesterday from the pre-order (which looks like it's still going, wouldn't count on it to last much longer). I liked the color-coding of the 2nd edition a bit more, but there's some extra crags and other features that make this worthwhile if you are a Boulder Canyon fanatic (some folks are). These authors definitely have the best guidebook of Boulder Canyon, and now you don't have to pay >$80 for a used copy if you don't already have one.

Mark Westfall 1 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

With a 40 dollar price tag. The old guide was 20 when I purchased it... 

trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 0

Hopefully, this will bring more people to the crags.  It is just so quiet climbing in the front range.  Laying on the sarcasm pretty thick.  

Todd Bruns · · Golden , Colorado · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0
trailridge wrote:

Hopefully, this will bring more people to the crags.  It is just so quiet climbing in the front range.  Laying on the sarcasm pretty thick.  

You just have to be willing to hike 45 min or longer to beat the crowds. Most people won't hike that long when there are so many roadside crags

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 21,745
trailridge wrote:

More like disperse them.  I doubt the new book will 'create' more climbers.  But it will give them more sites to visit.

jarthur · · Westminster, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 260

Man, Ole' Bob-D is busy these days. Comes out with a Shelf Road Guide just before Rico's guide gets published, and then comes out with a new BoCan guide a few months later. Never saw any difference between his 1st Ed. and the 2nd Ed. so I never updated because of MP. This is not meant for sarcasm, but why would we purchase this new edition when BoCan development appears to be pretty slow the last decade. I'm just looking for a reason to purchase this and not supplement my old guide with the MP App.

jarthur wrote:

Man, Ole' Bob-D is busy these days. Comes out with a Shelf Road Guide just before Rico's guide gets published, and then comes out with a new BoCan guide a few months later. Never saw any difference between his 1st Ed. and the 2nd Ed. so I never updated because of MP. This is not meant for sarcasm, but why would we purchase this new edition when BoCan development appears to be pretty slow the last decade. I'm just looking for a reason to purchase this and not supplement my old guide with the MP App.

There are many hundreds of routes if not a thousand that are not in Ed 1 or 2.  The question is if they are in Ed 3?  Development might not be so slow as you think, and then there was the stuff that was there all along, but not in those books.  And as to if the common errors in Ed 1/2 were corrected, not sure on that either.  Hope so!
I guess time will tell.  

Jay Eggleston · · Denver · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 14,149

Id wait for the Hass guide coming out in the future.  Will probably be much better and more accurate.

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,228
jarthur wrote:

Never saw any difference between his 1st Ed. and the 2nd Ed. so I never updated because of MP. 

Ha, unfortunately the difference is that the 2nd Ed. introduced a whole bunch of errors that were not in the 1st Ed. For e.g., compare the Bihedral between the two editions and you will notice that somehow they screwed up the correspondence between the pictured numberings and the text numberings. How the heck do you screw up the numbering when you had it right the first time? Puzzling. That said, as Tony mentioned the 2nd Ed. had a bunch of new stuff in it, which was nice. Hopefully at a minimum the 3rd Ed. will have the errors fixed and some new routes added. My hope is that the book is more comprehensive (i.e., is closer in spirit to Mark's book regarding including all of the known routes).

J. Albers wrote:

Hopefully at a minimum the 3rd Ed. will have the errors fixed and some new routes added. My hope is that the book is more comprehensive (i.e., is closer in spirit to Mark's book regarding including all of the known routes).

I have no idea on that, but I do have it on very good authority that the upcoming Fixed Pin book (2018 shelf date?) will be comprehensive and probably have very few errors since the authors are literally getting on every single route in the canyon.  Last I heard, it had several hundred previously unpublished routes in the draft.  Will be curious to see what ends up in this book and what doesn't.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply