Mountain Project Logo

Whitney july 29th-30th

Original Post
Alia Atreides · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I have buds hiking the walk up but would love to do something technical. Was going to blast up the mountaineers route solo if I couldn't find anyone.

I'd be stoked on east face or buttress, and would be camping with buds that night at the hiker's camp at 12grand or so. 

Coming from wa to lv, so logistics could be weird :)

Fan Zhang · · Colorado · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,704

Hikers go up the Whitney Trail, where as the approach for the Mountaineers Route and technical east face routes goes up the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek. They're completely different approaches, in different valleys. If you camped with your friends at Trail Camp (the highest camp along the Whitney Trail, around 12K in elev), then you would be a long ways away from the base of the Mountaineers Route or the east face routes. 

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270

the penalty for getting caught without a permit is only $100?

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270
grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

FYI, mountaineers permit is different than hikers permit. You can't just decide to do one or the other. 

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342

Trail camp as others have said is nowhere near the East Face.  I have never had a problem getting a permit to do the East Face or Buttress showing up the day before at the ranger station in Lone Pine the day prior to climbing, get there when the doors open and get your name in for the lottery.   Chances are good you will get one,, especially if you can do it mid week.   

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

I was denied an east face permit and was forced to do the hike instead. Just know that its the state of California - aka land of rules and regulations. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

I was denied an east face permit and was forced to do the hike instead. Just know that its the state of California - aka land of rules and regulations. 

Except that those are federal regulation! (Forest Service).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Whitney july 29th-30th"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started