ISO Ice gear for small female!

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post
Hannah Spendlove · · Reno, NV · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 10

Hi! I have recently moved from the warm deserts of southern Utah to the Sierra Nevada's  and am looking into getting some ice gear to branch out this winter. My shoe size is usually about a 6 and in climbing shoes 36.5/37 depending on the shoe. I am almost 5'2" so small. 

Lovey Harwood · · MA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 290
Hannah Spendlove wrote:

Hi! I have recently moved from the warm deserts of southern Utah to the Sierra Nevada's  and am looking into getting some ice gear to branch out this winter. My shoe size is usually about a 6 and in climbing shoes 36.5/37 depending on the shoe. I am almost 5'2" so small. 

I ice climb here on the east coast and use a size 38 in La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX boots. I don't think you'll have any trouble with your feet size in other brands as well. But you should try out as many different brands as you can.

Jim Kanga · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I have a nearly-like-new (paint scratches from use) MSR Thunderbird Ice Axe I am about to post for sale.  It is blue, 31" overall, includes the point protectors.  $50 + shipping.

luke Lydiard · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 754

Hi Hanna. 

I have a Grivel Alp Wing ice tool for sale for $40 if you pick it up in Mammoth Lakes, CA. 

Also have some Grivel 360 ice screws. Two 16cm and a 21cm for $80.

The ice climbing community is small but motivated here on the Eastside so stay in touch if you are looking for partners this winter. We usually start getting climbable ice in Lee Vining just before Christmas. 

Barrett Pauer · · Brevard, NC · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 775

I have a pair of Grivel Rambo II tools I can sell for cheap!

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 251

If you aren't looking to go cheap on the tools, I've got a pair of BD Cobras in super great condition (one is new, one is used extremely lightly) I'd sell for $200 a piece. 

Jon H · · MD/DC · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 123

I have nothing to sell, but most of the women climbing partners I've had who have been of your stature (5'0" - 5'3") have preferred, universally, either the Grivel Quantum Tech or the Trango Raptors. The common theme among both tools: They are fairly light, have relatively narrow grips, and are equally balanced from the handle to the head. I recommend you try and look at those models to start.

Zac St. Jules · · New Hampshire · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 1,133
Jon H wrote:

I have nothing to sell, but most of the women climbing partners I've had who have been of your stature (5'0" - 5'3") have preferred, universally, either the Grivel Quantum Tech or the Trango Raptors. The common theme among both tools: They are fairly light, have relatively narrow grips, and are equally balanced from the handle to the head. I recommend you try and look at those models to start.

^ agreed

Zac St. Jules wrote:

^ agreed

Thanks for the recommendation! I will look into those! Cant go ice climbing without gear, but don't want to get gear without knowing it's performance! Saw someone post that they think climbers suck on here! But I think you all are awesome :)

luke Lydiard wrote:

Hi Hanna. 

I have a Grivel Alp Wing ice tool for sale for $40 if you pick it up in Mammoth Lakes, CA. 

Also have some Grivel 360 ice screws. Two 16cm and a 21cm for $80.

The ice climbing community is small but motivated here on the Eastside so stay in touch if you are looking for partners this winter. We usually start getting climbable ice in Lee Vining just before Christmas. 

I will let you know if I am headed near mammoth soon I'd love to go with you! I will just be Extreme noob to Ice, and I really don't want to hold anyone back! I have extensive rope skills knowledge and climb a lot of trad and rock but am new to this ice thing! 

Danomcq · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 95

I have BD fuels, light use, $300

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply