Mountain Project Logo

Franklin Gorge - Open for climbing?

Original Post
PriscillaY · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

Hi, I read somewhere that Franklin Gorge has no trespassing signs. Are those still up? Can people climb there?

Daniel Roberts · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

i've read that people still climb there and that the signs will come up and go down. but unsure what's actually going on

jarthur · · Westminster, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 290

Sounds like Ronin is up to his old tricks again. If he's not out chopping the bolts off his own routes because people can't stay on the trail then it wouldn't surprise me that he's putting "No Trespassing" signs up for land he doesn't remotely own. My opinion of course, but nonetheless justified.

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,465

I know people that have gone a couple of times this season. I haven't been myself.  Not in a few years I think.  If there are no trespassing signs, whether they are legitimate or not, if you choose to go climb anyway, that's on you.  If they are legit, I'd hate to see it get closed for good.  I'm not trying to scare you off, but personally, there's much better climbing in WVA less than two hours away if you're looking to clip bolts.  If they're not legit, please do as you would anywhere.  There is a bit of an erosion problem there, so please put your stuff on hard surfaces, don't spread your stuff all over the trail, because there's limited space, and please pack out everything and pick up any trash you see.  The last time I was there I filled up a full kitchen garbage bag full of trash at the parking lot.  Probably not left by climbers, but it doesn't hurt to leave it better than you found it.  I too would be interested if the land owners truly are trying to keep climbers off the property.  I've tried over the years to find out who they are, but no one I know seems to have any idea.  It's almost as if it's some closely guarded secret.  Take a small crescent wrench with you if you go, there are always reports of loose hangers that can easily be fixed with a little self maintenance.  

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10
Jake Jones wrote:

I know people that have gone a couple of times this season. I haven't been myself.  Not in a few years I think.  If there are no trespassing signs, whether they are legitimate or not, if you choose to go climb anyway, that's on you.  If they are legit, I'd hate to see it get closed for good.  I'm not trying to scare you off, but personally, there's much better climbing in WVA less than two hours away if you're looking to clip bolts.  If they're not legit, please do as you would anywhere.  There is a bit of an erosion problem there, so please put your stuff on hard surfaces, don't spread your stuff all over the trail, because there's limited space, and please pack out everything and pick up any trash you see.  The last time I was there I filled up a full kitchen garbage bag full of trash at the parking lot.  Probably not left by climbers, but it doesn't hurt to leave it better than you found it.  I too would be interested if the land owners truly are trying to keep climbers off the property.  I've tried over the years to find out who they are, but no one I know seems to have any idea.  It's almost as if it's some closely guarded secret.  Take a small crescent wrench with you if you go, there are always reports of loose hangers that can easily be fixed with a little self maintenance.  

A quick search of the county GIS will get you the name of the property owner. It’s public information. 

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,465

Thanks for the info Bryan.

Daniel Roberts · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0
jarthur wrote:

Sounds like Ronin is up to his old tricks again. If he's not out chopping the bolts off his own routes because people can't stay on the trail then it wouldn't surprise me that he's putting "No Trespassing" signs up for land he doesn't remotely own. My opinion of course, but nonetheless justified.

I was reading through his blog and he had a bone to pick with the AAC and access fund. can you provide some background on that?  I'm not familiar with the 'drama' surrounding the area

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply