Mountain Project Logo

It's no pink sidewalk chalk, but... GRAFFITI!

Original Post
Sean Foster · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 1,922

Tomorrow I'll be trying my hand at graffiti removal at our annual Adopt-a-Crag in Red Wing, MN. Care to share your experience with graffiti? Or, simply add a picture of your local crag "artwork"?

And, if you're a Minnesota climber or just in the area, join us 10-2, Saturday 7/15!

Billcoe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 655

Good luck! Our local crag. Unless it's hate or Nazi type graffitti, it gets left alone. I've never seen anybody doing the "artwork", but it shows up regularly. 

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35

It all sucks but the pacman one is kinda cool.

Sean Foster · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 1,922
Billcoe wrote:

Good luck! Our local crag. Unless it's hate or Nazi type graffitti, it gets left alone. 

The city sometimes paints over it with a color that matches the rock. I don't feel like that's a good solution as it just adds to the polished feeling of the rock at this crag. There are plenty of other places for these artists to do their work, but we have pretty limited rock in these parts to climb.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

The City will paint over the ART with somesort of thick "street paint" .... that makes it very slick. 

The city has also sent in a crew armed with a water pressure cleaner.... that destroyed the boulder problems and turned the stone into sand. 

So to ruin the taggers day we paint over the ART just as soon as we see it....  it gets messed up and you cant read the names or the msg. 

Sometimes we go over it dabbing KILTS to help hide the bright colors. 

Then we start dabbing different shades of paint over it.... sort of like reverse camo. 

Slowly the image begins to fade.... 

sometimes we need to go add back the yellows and the black dots to give the stone a natural look. 

it takes a ton of work and its also dangerous.....  a friend of mine had his teeth kicked out by a group of them when they caught him dabbing over their ART.

I now gather a big posse when I go to work. 

Before

After....By By PCA

This was once a big colorful mural

It sucks to have this happen at a place you love.  

I feel like I have no choice but to work on this.... people before me did and I hope people will take care of this long after I am gone. 

Bill Coe .... I feel your pain.... I was OK with the standard grafitti you know...." Bob loves Rod" sort of stuff. But when it turns racial and uguly I get realy mad. 

Keep on cleaning folks.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply