Mountain Project Logo

Climbing on Curacao

Original Post
Stefan van der Leede · · Julianadorp, Curaçao · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 30

Hello all, 

It seems this island is not very well known for climbing - is anyone climbing there? I'm trying to get in touch with climbers on Curacao.

Any information about climbing or bouldering locations is highly appreciated as well !

Regards Stefan

Kurtz · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 4,632

When I visited a few years ago, I saw no sign of climbers or climbing but I enjoyed the hike up Mount Christoffel in the Christoffel National Park.

Stefan van der Leede · · Julianadorp, Curaçao · Joined Mar 2024 · Points: 0

Hello everyone! In the meantime, a lot has happened! The number of climbs on Curacao is projected to cross the 200 route threshold this year. Information about climbing routes is available online: https://www.mountainproject.com/area/116358100/curacao and https://stefaban.blogspot.com/2019/12/fort-beekenburg-climbing-area-guidebook.html.. 

I'm updating this page, because we frequently get visitors who want to climb on Curacao. As we are only a small community, it may be that as a visitor you miss out on the action with the locals, especially if you're visiting for a short time. 

Therefore, I would recommend any climber planning to visit Curacao for climbing, to post a message on this page stating:

• From when to when you will be visiting
  • Whether you're bringing climbing gear
  • What you're looking to do (style, grade, etc)

Thanks and if you have any questions please let me know! I'm monitoring this thread.

Best regards
Stefan

Mike Grainger · · Waterloo, ON Canada · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 286

This is extremely exciting stuff, Stefan.  I experienced Aruba as a solo climber this January, top rope soloing some of the Grapefield routes and checking out some random boulders.  This development on Curacao is at an entirely unexpected level and has vaulted Curacao to the top of my travel list for next winter.  I will try to entice a climbing partner to come with me but it is great that you are offering a means to connect with local climbers.  Hope to see you in a few months!

Stefan van der Leede · · Julianadorp, Curaçao · Joined Mar 2024 · Points: 0

That's great Mike! Be sure to drop a line if you know further details!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Climbing on Curacao"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started