Aid Climbing Practice

Original Post
Malcolm F · · Cupertino, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Hey all, I'm stuck at home watching the dog this weekend so I'm looking to do some local aid climbing practice on saturday (south bay, maybe at castle rock or if anyone know somewhere better for that sort of thing). I just got a set of jumars and want to learn how to use them and also how to move efficiently on a bolt ladder and what not. Let me know!

dindolino32 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 10

Why on earth would you aid at castle rock.  Almost everything is face climbing, rock is too soft to hook, and the routes are too short. With such short routes a "bolt ladder" would be over before a cluster could begin, thus no gear management would be needed.   I would suggest you go aid climb up trees.  It is surprisingly fun, just sling branches instead hooking or using cams.  You can even penji from one tree to another. You can also lasso around branches that are too high/far away with another rope.  I think it would be the best alternative.  Also, you can girth hitch around trunks, use two of them to "jug" up a long trunk with no features.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply