Mountain Project Logo

Tennessee climbing reccommendations?

Original Post
Kurt G. · · Reading, PA · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 150

Hi MP,

planning a trip to Tennessee this fall and its my first time going.  theres going to be a group of us (not sure the exact number yet, maybe 8-12 people) and im looking for suggestions on where to go.  my friend and I are chasing 7's and 8's with a few 9's on trad and 10's and 11's on sport.  im looking for the best concentration of easily accessible climbs to maximize our time down there. ive been looking at the t-wall and surrounding areas but Obed also looks pretty good too.  im open to any other suggestions

thanks in advance for the reccommendations!

Andy Million · · Murfreesboro TN · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 65

How much time do you have?

The Obed and Lily Pad is a destination. The Obed is largely sport climbing, but there is bouldering there too. You should be able to chase sun or shade, depending on the weather.

T-Wall is a great trad destination and you'll have plenty to climb at those grades.

Chattanooga also has Foster Falls (it's a slight drive), Deep Creek, and bouldering (Little Rock City). With that many people, please spread out. During prime season, all the classic areas can get busy, especially on the weekends.

Andy Million wrote:

How much time do you have?

The Obed and Lily Pad is a destination. The Obed is largely sport climbing, but there is bouldering there too. You should be able to chase sun or shade, depending on the weather.

T-Wall is a great trad destination and you'll have plenty to climb at those grades.

Chattanooga also has Foster Falls (it's a slight drive), Deep Creek, and bouldering (Little Rock City). With that many people, please spread out. During prime season, all the classic areas can get busy, especially on the weekends.

right now we are looking at a Wednesday through Monday.  early October 

Chuck Parks · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 2,091

I'd divide my time between trad at T-Wall and sport at Foster Falls. Both areas have tons of stuff in the ranges you seek. You've got free, uncivilized camping at T-Wall, pay, civilized camping at Foster Falls, or you can stay at the Crash Pad hostel in Chattanooga.

Be warned that once deer season starts in the fall they close T-Wall for certain dates for managed hunts. They don't have the dates for this fall posted yet. But check on the Prentice Cooper State Forest web site a month or so before your trip and they should have the dates up then. If there are hunt days during your stay, you could just choose those days to climb at Foster Falls or one of the other many places around Chattanooga.

Chuck Parks wrote:

I'd divide my time between trad at T-Wall and sport at Foster Falls. Both areas have tons of stuff in the ranges you seek. You've got free, uncivilized camping at T-Wall, pay, civilized camping at Foster Falls, or you can stay at the Crash Pad hostel in Chattanooga.

Be warned that once deer season starts in the fall they close T-Wall for certain dates for managed hunts. They don't have the dates for this fall posted yet. But check on the Prentice Cooper State Forest web site a month or so before your trip and they should have the dates up then. If there are hunt days during your stay, you could just choose those days to climb at Foster Falls or one of the other many places around Chattanooga.

Thanks for the closure info Chuck, very helpful!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply