Mountain Project Logo

Squamish border crossing - passport required?

Original Post
JKeller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Anybody crossed the border heading to Squamish recently without a passport?  

I've travelled into Canada and back at another crossing in the last couple years with just a birth certificate, but have been warned that policy is dependent on the specific crossing.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

You need a passport or passport card to cross the border.

FosterK · · Edmonton, AB · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 40

From Canada Border Services Agency:

Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 681

I crossed into Canada last summer via the 5 and they were checking everyone's passport

FosterK wrote:

From Canada Border Services Agency:

This, along with my previous experience crossing/returning makes me believe a birth certificate is sufficient.

JKeller wrote:

This, along with my previous experience crossing/returning makes me believe a birth certificate is sufficient.

It probably is, to get into Canada. According to the US Border Patrol, you need a passport to get back into the States.

Rob T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 10

When was your previous experience?  As I recall, change was some time around '10-'11. 

Jplotz · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,020

I've gotten through with an enhanced driver's license (WA resident).  Is that no longer the case?

John Wilder wrote:

It probably is, to get into Canada. According to the US Border Patrol, you need a passport to get back into the States.

Where are you getting this info?

Rob T wrote:

When was your previous experience?  As I recall, change was some time around '10-'11. 

I traveled to Canada and back in 2015 with only a birth certificate.  I was told you needed a passport then, but it turned out to not be true.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Why don't you just get a passport?

Rob T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 10

No idea then. I was told a passport was required when I went in '11 so I just brought that instead of my birth certificate. 

Idaho Bob · · McCall, ID · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 58

I travel to and from Canada frequently.  US requirements have changed.  You need a passport to get back into the US.  

a.blair · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 65

You don't need a passport for Squamish but you do need one for everywhere else in Canada.

...you need a passport

Nick Niebuhr · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 465

I'm pretty sure you've needed a passport to cross the border for the last like 7 years at least.

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

Been to Squamish multiple times this year and am going again Friday.  The one thing that hasn't and won't change.........is you need a passport.  If it's a emergency just pay the expedited fee and you'll get it in a few days. 

Samuel Georgian · · Seattle, WA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 15

You can use an enhanced driver's license if you have one 

edelweiss · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

You do need a valid passport to go to Canada, as to any other country. You may enter back without a passport, if you were born in the US. It's good to have a copy or picture of your passport with you, in case you loose it. 

JKeller wrote:

Where are you getting this info?

Google, man. The US border patrol has a website with all of this info. If you're going to try without a passport, don't try at peace or Blaine. Go further out. 

But seriously- get a passport. They're super useful. 

Mike Womack · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,526

peace arch park

Benjamin Mitchell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Just get a passport. At worst it's a couple bucks and minor inconvenience, and you're probably going to want to travel internationally in the next 10 years anyways. Why risk complications by traveling with just a birth certificate? If it's an emergency you can go to the passport office in your city and get an insane turnaround time. When I went, the guy in front of me in line handed in his forms and said his international flight was in nine hours and they said they could make it happen.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply