Looking for Climbing Partners at The Cliffs LIC

Original Post
Maya Kumits · · New York, NY · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I'm pretty new to climbing but good at it thanks to my background in Aerial Silks.  I can onsight 5.10s, work 5.11s.  I'm Lead Certified at The Cliffs LIC and looking for people to climb in the gym with - lead or toprope.  Eventually, I'd like to get outdoors too.   I prefer to climb daytime during the week, though I can make weeknights and weekends work too.  

James Sweeney · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

Maya,

Try here Rock and Ice meetup  

or NY Indoor Climbing

I might be going up to the Gunks this Saturday with a couple of other people. It would be a small group, just looking to do some toproping in the heat.

Let me know if you're interested so I can maintain a seat for you in the car.

Jim

Laralyn Mowers · · Astoria, NY · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5
Maya Kumits wrote:

I'm pretty new to climbing but good at it thanks to my background in Aerial Silks.  I can onsight 5.10s, work 5.11s.  I'm Lead Certified at The Cliffs LIC and looking for people to climb in the gym with - lead or toprope.  Eventually, I'd like to get outdoors too.   I prefer to climb daytime during the week, though I can make weeknights and weekends work too.  

I climb at the Cliffs 3x a week, usually in the mornings (6:30am). Not sure if you're down to get up that early, but if so hit me up. I also try to get outdoors as much as possible. I've got some West Coast trips coming up, but I'll be back in August, and would be glad to have a 3rd if you want to join. (Can you clean trad? Or more interested in sport?)

Thanks for the links Jim!  I'll check them out.  And I really appreciate the offer to join on Sat.  If I didn't have plans already, I'd be all over that!

Laralyn, sending you a note now!

David PriEmes · · NYC · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

Maya,

I usually climbing at LIC late morning or evening. I like to go to Gunks too.

James Sweeney · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

Your posting reminded me of this.

Spencer Parkin · · Bountiful · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Wow, that's right up there with what Honnold's been doing...  when she normally does with the fabric during a performance, is there a safety net?

Yessss!!  #climbinggoals  :)

There's no safety net.  You lock off with the silks or wrap them around your body when you need a break.  Basically, don't let go or wrap wrong!  In that way, I find silks more challenging than climbing because the option of falling is off the table.  It's more like bouldering if you stay low, but it's not unusual to be 15 feet or more up in the air.  You better know your tricks solid.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply