Mountain Project Logo

Thumbs up identities?

Original Post
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

It would be nice to know who chooses to be ugly.

EDIT From OLH: Frank quoted the original post, just below this one, just that simple question in Frank's post.

Starting with Kyle, below, these comments got ugly, to me, at least. Maybe, maybe not. Fine, except there were comments in other threads that seemed deliberate to me, and aimed specifically at me in an unkind way. Seemed. Intent? Dunno.

An explanation is down thread, explaining why the title was changed to "You Win, Kyle". 

The title is the original now, and apologies for the confusion.

Helen

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Old lady H wrote:

Any way to know who gives a comment a thumbs up? It would be nice to know both who is delivering a compliment, and who is giving a thumbs up to something ugly.

What would you do with that info? Would it help you to know who to like or dislike? Would it really be useful to know that? (I'm don't think the thumbs-up/like is useful, in the first place)

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270

I thumbs up'd you Frank

Jon Frisby wrote:

I thumbs up'd you Frank

I like you, Jon. 

Old lady H wrote:

Come up and climb with me some year, eh?

I've got a good friend that lives in Star, and I may have to break down and visit him, someday.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

I wish we had the option to choose which finger was "up". Why does the thumb get all the fun?

Daniel Winder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 101
Kyle Tarry wrote:

FYI, if I could thumbs down this thread, I would.

Yup. Wish I had an extra pair of hands so I could give this thread 4 thumbs down

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Jon Frisby wrote:

I thumbs up'd you Frank

Words you hope you never hear in a portaledge.......... ;)

John Barritt wrote:

Words you hope you never hear in a portaledge.......... ;)

I stand corrected. Mr. Barritt for the win!

Thanks for the laugh. Much appreciated in a month from hell, sir.

Best, Helen

cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175

Am I the only one who doesn't get what this thread is about?

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 40
cragmantoo wrote:

The title has change, and 67% of the post have been deleted or edited. If you weren't here from the first second (or maybe second second) you probably are too late, and all hope is lost.

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

This thread triggers me :(

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Patrick Mason wrote:

The title has change, and 67% of the post have been deleted or edited. If you weren't here from the first second (or maybe second second) you probably are too late, and all hope is lost.

Damn. I can't live on MP all day - I have a job. Y'all have got to get a whole lot better at quoting for history before things get deleted.

JD · · Southern AZ · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95
cragmantoo wrote:

looks to be about whining...

or just wasting 1 & 0s

cragmantoo wrote:

Allow me to help you, cragman. In the second post to this thread, I quoted the OP before she changed it. You are now fully cognizant of the subject of this thread.

Cragmantoo, Marc, others. Frank quoted the original post. Just a question. After it went the way it did, yes, I caved in, yes, I was hurt. I've been through a shitload of crap (work load and weather) for a long stretch, and between this and the other posts in other threads, one of which I was not even involved with, I was finally fed up.

The only other deletion was my reply to Frank. The short answer is now in the very first box. The longer answer also suggested he (Frank) should haul himself up here sometime so we can climb. That offer is there for pretty much any of you who make it to the wilds of Boise. I go out of my way to host the out of town people, and hugely enjoy it.

Most of you know me well enough to know I will not only stand my ground in an argument, but am quite happy to have fun with you and get rowdy, even. Just bad timing for this to be ugly. 

I will restore the title and original post soon. 

And Kyle? You are one of the people who has a lot to offer on here. FWIW, I respect what you have to say....when you are being helpful. I truly think you are probably much better in person, and would offer to meet you when/if I get over that way, or if you ever come through Boise and are feeling brave (my standard disclaimer, lol). 

All, I will get the thread fixed in a day or so. It was petty, and I apologize, and I hate threads being messed with myself. Sigh.

Best, Helen

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083

Relax Helen, when people don't understand something on the interweb it makes them angry, at least you weren't "thumbs up'd"......... ;)

If it'll help cheer you back up I'll point out that Frank said he liked Jon after he "thumbs up'd" him...... ;)

cyclestupor · · Woodland Park, Colorado · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 91

Don't feel too bad Helen...

I was late to the party, and must have missed some of the mud slinging on this and other threads as well.  But Johns comment was comedy gold,  so there was good to come from this thread.  I just hope no one thumb up's me.

Your comments usually add a light hearted humorous touch to otherwise heated, argumentative threads.  So keep it up.

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

soooooo, who has the number for rock and resole?

LL2 · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 174

I have no idea what this is about. I just hope everyone is feeling good about themselves now :)

Kyle Tarry wrote:

I think you're overreacting about this whole thing.  You had a particular viewpoint, and some people disagreed with it.  That's going to happen if you put your opinions out there in front of a bunch of people.  Not seeing eye-to-eye on something doesn't seem like sufficient reason to edit a bunch of threads and make a bunch of assertions about people being "much better in person."

(This may just be me, but I think that the repeated proclamations of who is good and who is bad and what responses are good and bad are inappropriate; some opinions are better kept to yourself.)

Really. Interesting points, Kyle.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Thumbs up identities?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.