Mountain Project Logo

Yonah approach hike

Original Post
Buddy Smith · · GA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 40

I haven't been to Yonah since they closed the road to the top (yeah, I know, it's been a minute). How far is the approach hike now? The answer could greatly influence what goes in the pack and what stays at home. Thanks.

Patrick Miller · · Indiana · Joined May 2017 · Points: 340

About 30 min to the first landing zone or the lowers. Bout an hour tops to the base of the climbs from parking lot. Pack light its uphill the whole way. I will be down there this weekend. Let me know if ya need a partner

PeteBrezz · · lawrenceville,GA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0
Patrick Miller wrote:

About 30 min to the first landing zone or the lowers. Bout an hour tops to the base of the climbs from parking lot. Pack light its uphill the whole way. I will be down there this weekend. Let me know if ya need a partner

What day this weeken? I can see yonah from my house and haven't climb there in for ever! 

Patrick Miller · · Indiana · Joined May 2017 · Points: 340

should be there sat morning.  Lucky you im 7 hrs away

Buddy Smith · · GA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 40

Can either of you guys climb Friday or Monday?

Galen M · · Dillard, GA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I am up for this Friday. What time are you thinking? I'm free all day, so far.

courthouse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 175

I'm close to Yonah and usually off during the week. Yonah is a zoo on the weekends. Also Yonah is hot this time of year (not as bad as sandrock) but still hot in the afternoon. Sagee and Pantertown much cooler summer climbing. You can txt me any time 828 557 9901.

Mark O'Neal · · Nicholson, GA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 3,323
courthouse wrote:

I'm close to Yonah and usually off during the week. Yonah is a zoo on the weekends. Also Yonah is hot this time of year (not as bad as sandrock) but still hot in the afternoon. Sagee and Pantertown much cooler summer climbing. You can txt me any time 828 557 9901.

We had Yonah main face almost all to ourselves last Sunday. Just goes to show you

Have you driven by Sagee lately? Is it dry or running?

Gunks Jesse · · Shawangunk Township, NY · Joined May 2014 · Points: 111

Going to try Yonah mid-week this week.  Does the military still use it?  Is there a day or days I should avoid to not get in their way?  Taking little kids so I am thinking some of the easy routes.

Benjamin A · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 0

They are there randomly but nice about others climbing and hiking. Never had an issue climbing when they were there. 

Gunks Jesse · · Shawangunk Township, NY · Joined May 2014 · Points: 111

Another question about getting to the main face (unclear on the area page).

looks like you park at the Mount Yonah trailhead parking lot (283 Chambers Rd, Cleveland, GA).  From there you hike on the trail taking off to the north.  This appears to eventually access a large clearing.  From here I see an obvious trail south the lowers and an obvious trail north to what looks like a double wide bathroom complex.  That clearing has a trail heading south again to access the main face.  Is that the fastest way up there or is there a better way?

Ryan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

Jesse, the fastest way up to the main face is a trail that starts on the right side of the lowers and goes almost straight up - but it can be hard to follow if you don't know where it goes.  I would suggest taking the trail up to the bathrooms. There are two ways to go from there - one leads to the top of the mountain and the other leads to x wall and then eventually to the bolted cable that leads to the climbs on the main face.  

Did that clear things up?

Will Avent · · Andrews, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 31

Is anyone interested in going to yonah on the 26th? I have a trad and sport rack and would love to lead some on both/ belay whatever you wanted to climb. My phone number is 803-292-2812, text me if you're interested.

stolo · · Lake Norman, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 214

I have only been there once and carried way too much gear up - bad idea, ended up only sport climbing bc so many bolts. Fun place though. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Yonah approach hike"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started