Mountain Project Logo

Petzl 2017 Sirocco In-Depth Review

Original Post
David Lottmann · · Conway, NH · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 152

Over 1500 words on this new model with video, please check it out here:

https://northeastalpinestart.com/2017/07/12/gear-review-petzl-2017-sirocco-climbing-helmet/

Emmett Lyman · · Stoneham, MA (Boston burbs) · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 480

Nice that it's no longer the ugliest helmet ever. :-) Glad the buckle now works without the magnet; maybe that'll put a stop to the unexpected "pop-offs" that seem to happen every couple of days with mine. I really wish they'd just tossed the whole magnet concept, though... I've found it to be a (bad) solution to a non-existent problem.

divnamite · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 90

Frieza!!!

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

Hi Dave, thanks for the review.

How is the rear coverage compared to the Meteor and the BD helmets?

I have a couple of Meteors and the latest BD models provide significantly more coverage in the back, more akin to helmets used in other sports. I was going to get a Vapor for this reason. Obviously not the most common source of impact in a climbing accident, but makes me feel better. Maybe more applicable to skimo, ski helmets certainly have way more coverage. 

David Lottmann · · Conway, NH · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 152
jdejace wrote:

Hi Dave, thanks for the review.

How is the rear coverage compared to the Meteor and the BD helmets?

I have a couple of Meteors and the latest BD models provide significantly more coverage in the back, more akin to helmets used in other sports. I was going to get a Vapor for this reason. Obviously not the most common source of impact in a climbing accident, but makes me feel better. Maybe more applicable to skimo, ski helmets certainly have way more coverage. 

Thanks for the question! I just checked this with both Petzl and my old Sirocco and missed the fact that they added about 2-3 cm of back-head coverage with this new design! Since many accidents involve impact there I have added this info to my original review! I will need to get into a shop to see if the Vapor has more coverage but the 2017 Sirocco definitely has 2-3 cm more coverage on the back of your grape!

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

Great, thanks Dave!

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

Thanks for answering my question- white model available in the fall!

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Northeast Alpine Start wrote:

Thanks for the question! I just checked this with both Petzl and my old Sirocco and missed the fact that they added about 2-3cm of back-head coverage with this new design! Since many accidents involve impact there I have added this info to my original review! I will need to get into a shop to see if the Vapor has more coverage but the 2017 Sirocco definitely has 2-3dm more coverage on the back of your grape!

I suspect you meant 2-3 cm.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Great review, nice work!

Jeremy B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

Thanks for the review!  Nice that they updated the colors, but that orange plate is still a bit odd-looking.  Reminds me of something from the Star Wars costume department.

In addition to the reduced impact force Petzl helmets are tested for “side impact” as well… something not yet required to pass a more general CE standard.

Could you elaborate on this?  As far as I'm aware, there's little difference between the EN and UIAA climbing helmet standards aside from the maximum force requirements.

This material [expanded polystyrene] adds some ruggedness and durability to what at times could feel like a fragile construction material (the expanded polypropylene that some folks assumed was “Styrofoam”).

Ironically, that stuff in cups and packing materials we call Styrofoam is actually... expanded polystyrene.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "Petzl 2017 Sirocco In-Depth Review"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started