Quebec Run Wild Area Development Trip

Original Post
Db5504 · · Perryopolis, PA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 935

Hi, my name is Dan Babyak. I've been looking for someone to help develop this new crag (Quebec Run Wild Area, SWPA) with, and I'm making a two day trip up there during the week of the 23rd (exact days tbd). I figured I would check to see if anyone maybe interested in coming. I'm not a particularly strong climber, but I've put up FA's nearby in 4 separate areas (25+ FA's).

Beta-

I have all the necessary camping gear (stove, tent, hammock, etc.), along with a limited amount of climbing gear (2 30m ropes, bouldering pad, set of nuts and hexes, 2 harnesses, and 8 draws). The cliff itself is about 2 miles back into the Wild Area, directly alongside a trail, but obscrued by 50-75 yards of thick rhododendron. Height ranges from 8 to 50 feet, with one known freestanding block and several (12-15) large boulders. All climbing would be either bouldering or trad.

If interested, please email me at dbabyak@gmail.com

Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 465

From the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources concerning the Quebec Run Wild Area.  

"No development of a permanent nature will be permitted in this area, so as to retain the undeveloped ‘wild’character. "

Sounds like it would be interpreted to include bolting.  

Jake Cramer 1 · · State College, PA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 80

That clause is mainly in regards to mechanized development like roads, buildings, ROW's, etc. Here's the actual DCNR info on climbing. Looks like you can climb to your hearts content in wild areas, as long as you don't leave fixed gear (and it's obvious you're not intending to)

http://www.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_002546.pdf

Note that this document applies to State Forests, State Parks, Wild Areas, and Natural Areas. State Game Lands, managed by PGC, are a whole other can of worms.

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
Brian wrote:

From the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources concerning the Quebec Run Wild Area.  

"No development of a permanent nature will be permitted in this area, so as to retain the undeveloped ‘wild’character. "

Sounds like it would be interpreted to include bolting.  

Where does he mention bolting?

Db5504 · · Perryopolis, PA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 935

I don't have the gear to bolt, nor would I want to in such a stunningly beautiful place, but I appreciate the heads up.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply