Sequoia Backcountry Camping

Original Post
Matt Christie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Hi all,

Does anyone have any good recommendations for secluded backcountry camping in Sequoia? Frantically trying to plan a trip there for next Sun/Mon/Tue before I head off to Holcomb tomorrow for the rest of the week, and looking for something that doesn't require any reservations, since its very last minute.

Ideally, looking for something where we can just hike out into a secluded area and pitch a tent wherever we want. Would be very cool if it was near a lake/river. I am going with non climber friends, but would of course be very cool if it was near some cool boulders to play on, or maybe even some easy sport climbing (hence why I'm asking the esteemed folk of mountain project). Or even if there is a cool area that fits this description but is somewhere else within a few hours of Sequoia, would love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any information you guys can provide!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Matt, 

You need a wilderness permit for overnight stays in the national park backcountry. Don't camp illegally, without a permit. You can get first-come, first-served permits at the ranger stations, until they meet the quota. Be at the ranger station (depending on which trailhead you are leaving from) right when they open. The permits are free, the ticket for camping illegally will be expensive.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

You might wish to consider the area up around Jackass Peak, Kennedy Meadows.... AKA Blackrock Ranger station. Good climbing and water here.... If your coming up 395, stop at the subway/shell station at Pearsonville--- they sell "The Map" for like $12.... it even has climbing spots marked on it (but not all) 

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/fish-creek-near-kennedy-meadows/107965156

Also just down the road about 3 miles is "The Quality Cliff" ... another Sport spot with the same creek at the base.

All of this is along the east side of "Sherman Pass Road" AKA 9 mile canyon.... its pretty nice up there and you can bring dogs, guns, dirt bikes and camp all over the place and hike anywhere with no papers or regulations .... except get a fire permit. 

Have fun

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply