Suunto Ambit3 Peak - Worth it?

Original Post
Thomas Carson · · Grand Teton National Park · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 20

I have a pro deal with Suunto and can get the Ambit3 Peak for 60% off, but is it worth it? Sure there are lots of cool features, and I am up in the mountains in the Tetons all summer climbing, but should I just save my money, get those twin ropes I've had my eyes on, and get a simple watch again? I only started looking at watches because the strap on my Timex Ironman broke and it's a type that doesn't have replacement straps.

Brian Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 228

I think it depends on how obsessive you are with tracking your training. I logged over 800 sessions on my Ambit2 before recently getting a Spartan Ultra. I use it to track all my training, not just outdoors, and I like that Movescount functions as a logbook that I can annotate if I want. 

I like being able to see how far I've run, how much altitude I've gained and stuff like that 

FWIW, the Spartan sucked when it was released and wasn't worth having until this year's updates.

Thomas Carson · · Grand Teton National Park · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 20

Well, sounds like it's not for me then. I don't really train. I just go climbing up in the mountains. I don't really count miles when I hike. My Garmin inReach has an altimeter, so that'll do for me.

Vince Meza · · Ridgecrest, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

I love my Suunto.  I use it much like Brian does to track a lot of different activities.  But as a piece of equipment it has several invaluable features that make it worth the money to me.  Most notably being the backtrack feature which helps you find your way back to your point of origin in the event that you get lost.  It's a great feature for the woods and the mountains.  It's also got an altimeter, compass, and GPS feature that you can save dozens of points of interests as well as display a current Lat Long of your location (helps in the event that you need to notify emergency services of your location even on frequently traveled trails).  The only complaint that I have about the watch is the size of the face.  It's quite large and can seem cumbersome so I usually just strap it to my pack or my climbing harness.  Otherwise the Movescount app is pretty cool and can track a ton of information when it comes to your activity, especially if you link a heart rate monitor to the watch.  

Arthur · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 103

I have a Peak and had the Spartan which I got rid of as the battery life was not what I wanted and found the interface quite laggy.  The Peak has very good GPS accuracy and amazing battery life (60hrs+) on some settings.  I pretty much only use it in the mountains for running, hiking, or big days where I need the battery life and dependable GPS.

Honestly for most day to day use I have an Apple Watch as it blows away any of the fitness watches in terms of UI though it lags in battery life, gps accuracy, or durability. 

Tag 60% off I’d pop.  I am pretty sure it is being discontinued too so may as well get it while you can.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply