Climbing towns in South America

Original Post
Nickc Diaz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

I'm going to be moving to S. America this February and wanted to know if anyone can recommend some towns that I may want to settle down in for a while. Finding a climbing partner is a concern so I'm not just looking for places with climbing, but rather climbing crags and a good climbing scene. Thank you. 

amockalypsenow · · San Diego · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 330

What are you going to be doing there?

Tyson · · Salt lake city, ut · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 3

A quick list of places in S. America I've visited/climbed and would love to return for an extended time:

Bariloche Argentina (wide variety of climbing styles within a couple hours, friendly locals)

Bogota/Suesca Colombia (amazing crag close to a fun city)

Mendoza Argentina (wonderful city and Arenales is an amazing crag)

Cuenca/Cojitambo Ecuador (beautiful city, great crag, nice locals)

Huaraz Peru (mostly alpine climbing, but some of the best on earth)

Santiago Chile (pretty good climbing nearby and not too far for road trips, big climbing scene, decent gyms)

Also, I haven't been to Rio but everyone says the climbing there is amazing.

@amockalypsenow I'll be there 6-12 months exploring the culture, fine tuning my Spanish, and going on amazing adventures. I mainly rock climb now, but will likely also canyoneer, cave, ice climb, mountaineer, scuba dive, hike, and maybe I'll learn to surf. 

Thanks @Tyson! In some ways I wish more info ways available for climbing out there, but I've seen whats happened to Colorado and am glad that the climbing's not overrun there. 

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 81

Huaraz is amazing. Easy to find climbing partners as well. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply