Mountain Project Logo

is it me? Or do climbers suck?


Original Post
michelle w · · las vegas, nv · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

I really like climbing. On the other hand I have come to the fact that 98% percent of climbers suck. Its all about them. What happen to sharing an experience? Why does your opinion matter more? Who the hell are you? Nobody... just like me so get off your high horse. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,230

Have an anecdote to share?

AGFW · · Durango, CO · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 0

Preach!

Dave T · · Charlotte · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 0

You should probably take it up with REI customer service.  

curvenut · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 0

trollllllllllllllll

The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460

If you were my employee, I would commend you on the quality of this open-ended question.

Here, I basically just feel like you're reinforcing why I barely participate in this community anymore. 

Maybe I should go to Supertopo

.... Oh, just checked, that an even more toxic and uninspiring community

Maybe you're right.

We do suck

ze dirtbag · · Tahoe · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 50

Maybe it's you?

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290

I suck balls as a climber, does that count? Oh wait. That's not my fault....never mind.

Must be you. I've got excuses.

michelle w · · las vegas, nv · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

it's probably me. I need to work on being okay with listening to someone's life story after 5 minutes of meeting.

ViperScale . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 235

Compared to a bird humans are really really shitty at climbing to the top of a cliff.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 20

I have found that most climbers are pretty cool and chill. I've heard of these super jerks, but haven't actually met any yet. 

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 10

I have been pretty happy with my new climbing friends and the folks I meet at the crag. I do see a lot of douchebaggery on the message boards, so maybe they lead double lives as trolls and know-it-alls online.

Eric L · · Roseville, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 115
michelle w wrote:

it's probably me. I need to work on being okay with listening to someone's life story after 5 minutes of meeting.

Which is nothing like being polite when someone rants about how all anyone from any specific group "sucks." ;)  (Playful sarcasm, not pointed criticism.) 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

I've actually found quite the opposite to be true...climbers are usually great people.  In fact, the only exceptions I've found have been on here, and even that is probably the internet bringing the worst out of people.

michelle w · · las vegas, nv · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

In my experience thus far with climbers is as follows....they talk about themselves a lot, they know to do everything better, their opinion ranks high than yours, and in fact they are really Gods just in a 5.7 climber body. 

TBlom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 360

For the most part, climbers tend to be fun loving and friendly people.  There are always a few turds out there that spoil the punch, but that's in any sport.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,230

Hmmm...maybe you should quit and find an activity with better people in it.

Eric L · · Roseville, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 115

I'm getting my popcorn on this one...

Jaren Watson · · Boise, Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 1,205
Ted Pinson wrote:

I've actually found quite the opposite to be true...climbers are usually great people.  In fact, the only exceptions I've found have been on here, and even that is probably the internet bringing the worst out of people.

I agree fully. I'd conservatively estimate 90% of climbers I've met have been pretty awesome. And half of the remaining 10% that I didn't like, I'm sure I was just seeing my own faults in them.

But get any group of mostly anonymous strangers on the internet, farewell to civility.

Michael Kimm · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 2,515

Michelle, I see you are here in my lovely city of Las Vegas... and I don't think that all of us local climbers here suck. I wonder who you are climbing with that's giving you this impression. If you'd like, you're more than welcome to come climb with me and others I know who I can guarantee do not suck.

This should not be taken as a climber who believes his opinion is worth more than yours, but rather as a twelve year local who would rather you think better of his beloved community.

michelle w · · las vegas, nv · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0
Jaren Watson wrote:

I agree fully. I'd conservatively estimate 90% of climbers I've met have been pretty awesome. And half of the remaining 10% that I didn't like, I'm sure I was just seeing my own faults in them.

But get any group of mostly anonymous strangers on the internet, farewell to civility.

So I should start looking up. It has to get better from here. I must have just met the 10% of the most narcissistic climbers in my first 2 years of climbing. The other 90% are still out there somewhere. There is a new hope to finding a climbing partner 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply