Mountain Project Logo

Google Earth "Hi-Def" makes it to the Gunks

Original Post
Rob Blakemore · · Boston, MA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 15

Google Earth has been adding an impressive 3D layer to various areas of the map.  Many of you have probably seen its spectacular rendering of Yosemite Valley. I love maps and have been checking in on their progress with wilderness areas in the North East from time to time. 

There is still no high quality pass on the Trapps or the Nears, but recently some of the land at the northern end of the ridge has been added, leading to really cool models of some of the outlying areas like Table Rocks and Bonticou.  At least for me it is great fun to scroll around and plan adventures. 

The level of detail is really incredible, and is worth checking out (there is now a browser version of google earth, accessible via the chrome browser only). Anyway, thought y'all might think it was cool.

Bonticou (new)

Table Rocks (new)

Unfortunately the new imagery stops just south of Bonticou (as demarcated by the diagonal boundary between forest with and without leaves in the picture below).

So we are still left with the "old school" images of places like Skytop and The Trapps

Skytop (old) - the trees are 2D, and the cliff imagery is distorted over the elevation model. 

Trapps (old) - note you can't really make out the cliffs in the "old school" rendering, which doesn't handle vertical cliffs well. 

I checked most of the NH and Adirondacks spots and the "HD" layer hasn't made it that far, but it does include some classic areas in the Hudson Valley (closed to climbing, but still great for hiking) 

Breakneck Ridge (new)

Hudson Palisades (new) - the rock scar from the Alpine slide is easily visible. 

Storm King

Happy exploring!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply