Climbing towers of choss (sandstone)

Original Post
that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 205

We have some huge sandstone features locally and it looks like some of the sandstone towers in utah (think fisher towers) there is the slight dilemma that protecting these route with conventional pro is basically impossible due to the sandy nature, so what do you guys do? I have heard of people just driving in long ass nails, i have seen bolts but non of these seem to work fantastically. Any body have any thought on protecting these piles of choss?

Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 735

Full body armor, face masks goggles, old school ice gear ,  Rail-Road spikes , ladders, Wart Hogs and stuff I'll be back with more if you get some of the choss  hoppers to chime in 

Firestone · · California · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 509

Ski goggles or other eye protection is certainly recommended. You may be able to protect with a mix of large beaks and pitons. Some hardware store mank will probably fit the style of the route as well, I would encourage long penny nails slung with cord, but then it's really an adventure route!

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456

Depending on how chossy it actually is, you may not be able to actually protect it. Any protection is only as good as the rock around it, so your best protection would be to just not fall. I certainly don't mean to discourage any chossaneering adventures, just be aware that none of your pro is gonna hold off the rock is bad enough. This may be one of those times when the "leader must not fall" mentality is important to your self preservation

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply