Mountain Project Logo

HELP: Our van broke down and we're trying to hitchhike from Steamboat Springs, CO to Lander, WY

Original Post
Brady C. · · Lakewood, CO · Joined May 2013 · Points: 40

Hey, folks.

My climbing partner and I were headed to Lander, WY for the International Climbing Festival this week. It was surefire to be a great time but we hit a little bump in our plans: We're from Iowa and our van broke down in Steamboat Springs, CO.

Is anyone coming through Steamboat in order to get to Lander this week for the festival? We could pay for gas and buy you dinner or something if you could let us sit in your trunk or something!

It's probably a long-shot but I figured it's worth a try.

Shoot me a call/text at 319-215-8684

Anywho; cheers, and Climb on my friends!

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,610

Might want to add a phone#?

Good luck, hope it works out!

Alex Ghiggeri · · Denver, Colorado · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

Not going through... But u can climb in butcherknife park to kill time and float the river too

LLubchenco · · Lander, wy · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 25

Make a cardboard sign and hitchhike on the highways! Bet you can get here in a day! Also, bump to the top so these guys can find a ride!

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290

If you do just stick your thumbs out, throw a rope over your shoulder! Can't swing a sling without slapping a climber in CO, it seems.

BITD, when I had a little pickup, if i saw a struggling cyclist out in the middle of nowhere (lots of nowhere in Idaho) I usually stopped and offered a ride in the back for them, being a bike rider. Hitchhikers, no, not for a long time.

But if I saw a climbing rope and/or rack...

:-) H.

cnadel · · Seattle, WA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 5

pretty sure something like this will get you there.

goingUp · · over here · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 40

I'm sure you can get this girl to scoop ya, or you can probably meet her in craig (its literally on the way)

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/113293065/international-climbers-fest-rideshare-from-western-slope-co,

Brady C. · · Lakewood, CO · Joined May 2013 · Points: 40

Hey, guys! Just wanted to post an update: We had a friend from CO offer us their vehicle for the weekend so we'll be making it to Lander! If anyone is up there, we're always down to share a beer and a belay.  Also if anyone needs a carpool or something of that nature, feel free to reach out. Thank you all for your help! Cheers!

Ben Williams · · My Van · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 30

Good to hear you got a ride! Me and another MP are coming in from Washington and will be in Lander on Tuesday. See ya there! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply