Jeff's World and Secret Lake

Original Post
Cody SanFillipo · · Bloomington, MN · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

So I'm Planning a trip to Jeff's World at the beginning of August to see it and to plan for a big climbing trip next summer and I have a bunch of questions. I would be planning on going to Secret Lake and Jeff's World (proper) Probably wont do that much climbing because of a injury and my friend i'm going with doesn't climb. but we both do lots of backpacking and the likes... Anyway. We would probably leave the Twin Cities Area early in the morning so we can hopefully clear Canadian Customs by Noon and hopefully be at secret lake by 1 pm. 

First stop after customs would be Secret Lake and Warm up Wall. probably spend the day there sleep somewhere then head to Jeff's world the next morning, spend another night out there then head back. The questions I have for this area are; 

-The directions to the the trail heads are pretty clear but I'm wondering are the trails clearly marked?

-Also does the trail end at the top or the Base of the crag? 

-  And what about camping? Can you disperse camp anywhere or do you need to stay at a designated camp area? then do you need some sort a permit/reservation or is it first come first serve? can you sleep on your boat or just right on the beach? 

- Also can you access Jeff's world from secret lake or to do need boat to the trail at the north end of David Lake

Probably will have more questions as the planning continues but that's it for now! 

Jess Arnold · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 391

I would get in contact with Sean Foster, one of the route developers. 

Sean Foster · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 1,839

-The directions to the the trail heads are pretty clear but I'm wondering are the trails clearly marked?

-Also does the trail end at the top or the Base of the crag? 

-  And what about camping? Can you disperse camp anywhere or do you need to stay at a designated camp area? then do you need some sort a permit/reservation or is it first come first serve? can you sleep on your boat or just right on the beach? 

- Also can you access Jeff's world from secret lake or to do need boat to the trail at the north end of David Lake

The trails are littered with cairns to help you find your way. Are they clearly marked? I wouldn't say that. The trail heads are tough to recognize when boating in. Like many things, after you've done it once, it's easier to spot the next time.

The Secret Lake trail takes you to the base. The Jeff's World Proper trail takes you to the top and you have to find the trail that continues down to the base.

Camping in Canada technically requires a permit. There is a phenomenal campsite on David Lake just past the Secret Lake trail head. Some people have camped across the landlocked lake at the base of Secret Lake - there is a canoe there with no paddle that can help you get there. Or, you can boat back into US customs on Crane Lake and find free or paid camping there (Voyageurs National Park).

The trail from Secret Lake continues past the crag to the Swamp Wall and then continues further on to Jeff's World. Whichever side you enter from, you can access them all. Again, the trails have cairns to help, but it's a wild place and life, uh, finds a way (to cover the trail back up).

Feel free to ask more questions and/or report back. I love hearing from people who venture out there. It's about as off the beaten path as you can get. 

Oh, and bring bug spray/head nets/etc. You never know how bad things are going to be until you get there. August is on the cusp of bug season dying down.

Sean Foster · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 1,839

PS. one of the main developers of the area made this video after a month+ long stay at the David Lake campsite I mentioned. Worth 20 minutes when you have time to spare.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply