Casuality at Tahquitz today....

Original Post
Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 160

Saw the rescue helicopter float above Lunch Rock around 8:20ish a.m. and say "We see you, rescue is coming to Humbar Park in 1 hour" then flew away, came back around a little later.  My party was 3 pitches up on maiden buttress area and saw S&R on the ground.  Met some people who came up later, hiked alongside S&R and confirmed it was a fatality. The body was removed later in the day, perhaps around 5.  Scary.

Also there was a rattlesnake tightly coiled up to the left of lunch rock on the climber's trail.  It was in the middle of the trail but behind a rock, almost stepped right on it.

be safe!

Ryan Huetter · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 255

Sorry you had to see that Gabe. 

Condolences to the victim's partners and family.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,175

Hmmm...early rescue.

GTS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 0

Apparently, the rescue was for a soloist who fell. Probably on the Trough,  based on where the body was. We were heading up the trail when S&R came up. 

Eric Holden · · Temecula, CA · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

http://www.riversidesheriff.org/press/hem17-0708.asp

Hemet Station

Station Area:Hemet

Written Date:July 09, 2017Time:8:50 A.M.

Incident Date:July 08, 2017Time:7:54 A.M.

Incident Location:Ernie Maxwell Scenic Hiking Trail, Idyllwild, CA.

Reporting Officer:Sergeant Santiago Agcaoili

File Number(s):D171890014

Coroner's Release:2017-07801

Details:

On Saturday, July 08, 2017, at approximately 7:54 A.M., deputies responded to Humber Park, Idyllwild, CA. reference a deceased hiker. The Riverside County Sheriff Department’s Aviation Unit, Coroner’s Bureau and the Sheriff's Department volunteers from the Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit (RMRU) assisted with the recovery.

The body of 51-year-old George J. Wu of Newport Beach, CA. was recovered from Ernie Maxwell Scenic Hiking Trail. The preliminary investigation determine Mr. Wu likely suffered traumatic injuries from a fall while climbing.

The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department would like to remind hikers that weather, awareness of your surroundings, proper equipment and supplies, and use of good judgement are essential for safe hiking.

Hikers are also encouraged to venture out with a partner and stay on designated trails.  Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact the Hemet-Riverside County Sheriff’s Department at (951) 791-3400.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,175

Well, that really complicates the story, doesn't it.

Sorry to hear that it was not just another climber, but someone from our MP community. Peace to the friends and family of George.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 115

A friend that knows him posted elsewhere that he was free soloing The Trough.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

I offer my since condolences to George Wu's Family and many Friends. 

Sad 

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 10

I met George in J Tree this year and we had a great day climbing together. He was an incredibly nice guy and seemed very concerned with the safety of others. Deepest condolences to his friends and family.

x15x15 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 165
GTS wrote:

Sorry to hear that it was not just another climber...

That's a crappy thing to say... 

RIP George... yer off- belay and I will throw one back in your honor...

x15x15 wrote:

That's a crappy thing to say... 

Perhaps you are misinterpreting my point. Every life is precious and it is sad when anyone passes on. But he was also a regular poster on MP, which makes it hit a little closer to home. That's all I was trying to say. 

Kevin DeWeese 1 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0
GTS wrote:

Perhaps you are misinterpreting my point. Every life is precious and it is sad when anyone passes on. But he was also a regular poster on MP, which makes it hit a little closer to home. That's all I was trying to say. 

That's how I read it. 

hikingdrew · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 25

RIP George, we met once at WTC graduation and talked about climbing, never got to climb together..

Here is a trip report of the recovery:

LINK HERE

pigsflyinsd · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 430

Condolences to Mr. Wu's family and friends. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

Eric, also thanks to you and the RMRU. I'm surprised you didn't link the full report from the RMRU's site in your post since you were involved in the recovery.  

For anyone who doesn't know, these men and women volunteer both their own time and equipment. They are not paid employees of any government agency. I know they've had a busy year. 

Connor McAndrew · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

We planned to climb the Trough Saturday...when we arrived in the parking lot we saw that the coroner was there but no ambulance and we figured it had been a fatality.  Later we learned that someone was soloing the route and had fallen.  RIP George.  We turned back and spent the day elsewhere. 

Eric Holden · · Temecula, CA · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20
pigsflyinsd wrote:

Eric, also thanks to you and the RMRU. I'm surprised you didn't link the full report from the RMRU's site in your post since you were involved in the recovery.  

Thanks much for the kind words for the team.   I was the first responder on the scene and lead the recovery.  I typically only post official sheriff press releases due to this still being an open investigation.  All of us at RMRU send out condolences to the family and friends that knew Mr. Wu.  

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

Eric....  thank you and all SAR personnel for the necessary, but thankless tasks, you people do. 

Ryan Courreges · · Loma Linda, CA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 400

I was out there climbing that day as well and saw the SAR team working from above. Condolences to all that knew George, I'm sure he'll be missed. Thanks to the SAR team who do the jobs that most of us hope we're never part of, but that need to get done. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply