Mountain Project Logo

Illuminated clothing for night climbing.

Original Post
Jon Hartmann · · Ojai, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,310

Any interest from the climbing community for night climbing vests? I'm heading to Jtree tomorrow night to climb during the full moon but I was wondering why something like this never caught on. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Jon Hartmann wrote:

Any interest from the climbing community for night climbing vests? I'm heading to Jtree tomorrow night to climb during the full moon but I was wondering why something like this never caught on.

Because it's stupid on so many levels?

I think you're stupid. Thanks for squashing my dreams. Is it the Michael Jackson motif? (I don't think you're stupid Marc) That was just a sample. What about an actual vest that had led lights but had hoods on top to keep the lights from blinding the climber. I love climbing with a headlight but it can get weird having to point your head at the hand holds and then point down to the feet, etc. Seriously. You could light up all the wall in front of you for full illumination. 

I guess that vest IS stupid.....I'm going to make one tomorrow. I'll give an update and pics after I've made it. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Will there be a Kickstarter or GoFundMe page for this brilliant (pun intended) idea? I'm pretty sure I won't contribute, but someone would throw their money at this!

Nope. No kickstarter. If anything I'll set a material list and a "how to" instruction description. I'll test it at Jtree tomorrow night and see how it works. 

amockalypsenow · · San Diego · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 715

Cool idea. Don't mind the negativity. 

Jplotz · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,020

This has potential. Will it have a strobe light mode?

JasonSH · · unknown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 90

How very TRON of you!

Dharma Bum · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 585

And while you're at it, what about the mouth light? (jump to 0:54)

Glenn Schuler · · Monument, Co. · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,320

This is the one I use for night ice climbing, works really well.

Even better, how about this? Then you could piss off people in multiple manners.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/17/13303444/1000-watt-led-drone

Scott Phil · · NC · Joined May 2010 · Points: 196

There is a difference between something that allows you to be seen (like this vest), vs. something that allows you to see (like a headlamp).

Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 745

NIGHT CLIMBING  ~ ( when the summer temps are reasonable,) Interesting and in cujuction with a good mid summer long full moon. NO LIGHTS , TURN OFF THE HEAD LAMP , TURN IT ON TURN IT OFF

There is an art to it . Waiting for the moon to rise.finding the lines with the best light 

The white Quartzite is best, at times it reflects enough light to read by. Knowing a bit about the positive/negative  light values, that form longer shadows, at night  places where black-out conditions may be on a climb, helps.

I went to burning man a couple years back and we had these LED string lights all over our bikes so that we wouldn't get run over by motorized vehicles on the playa. I just noticed that with 2 to 3 strands of lights on our bikes the entire area up to a 10  foot radius was illuminated enough to see everything. I just thought it would be nicer to have an entire area dimly lit rather than having a very bright spot of light on the rock because my vision can not pick up what's outside of that light area. I realize that the first  vest that I put up is for being seen and not for seeing, but I'm pretty sure if I cover a vest in those string lights it'll do exactly what I want. I couldn't find any today to purchase locally so I'm ordering them online and then I'll make the vest after I have the material  and then I'll upload the results. 

I live closer to Joshua tree then to Yosemite but during the summertime I leave every Friday night to drive seven hours to get to the crack climbing. I'd much rather drive three hours south to Joshua tree and climb at night because really what I'm trying to do it is just climb cracks. Obviously there is Idyllwild also but I just don't like that place much for personal reasons, and the snow is meting to slowly in the Eastern Sierras currently 

beensandbagged · · R.I. · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 10

oh shit what next ???

Gavin W · · Surrey, BC · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 183

A friend of mine takes one of those Big Agnes tent light strings (battery powered) and attaches it to his pack for pre-dawn starts when mountaineering. Makes him easy to see (but doesn't help him see any better).

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
Jon Hartmann wrote:

I went to burning man a couple years back 

Ah - all the rest is becoming clear now.

David Kerkeslager · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 55
Gavin W wrote:

A friend of mine takes one of those Big Agnes tent light strings (battery powered) and attaches it to his pack for pre-dawn starts when mountaineering. Makes him easy to see (but doesn't help him see any better).

This was the problem I was going to point out: the reason I'd want lights when climbing at night is to see, not to be seen.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply