Mountain Project Logo

Visiting San Diego late July-early Aug

Original Post
Derick L · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 235

Hey everyone, I'll be in SD for work and looking to squeeze in a day of climbing. I'm assuming Joshua Tree will be too hot, but any advice on Mission Gorge conditions? Also, any guide recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

Bowens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 60
Derick L wrote:

Hey everyone, I'll be in SD for work and looking to squeeze in a day of climbing. I'm assuming Joshua Tree will be too hot, but any advice on Mission Gorge conditions? Also, any guide recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

It's hot in San Diego right now, but the walls at Mission Gorge are all in the shade until about noon.  Recommend an early start and you're fine climbing there in the morning.  You can park outside the gate before it opens and walk in; only adds about a half mile of flat paved road to the approach.

Mountain project is really useful for Mission Gorge, and there's also http://climbingtoposofsandiego.com for more info.  The Kennedy/Hubbard guide is the only one for the area that I'm aware of, but it appears to be out of print.

Thanks, Bowens!

CBD Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

What's up Derick!
Another option would be to head up to Mt. Woodson for some climbing, it will be just as hot (if not hotter) but at least there are tons of trees and routes that are completely in the shade. (e.g. Sunday afternoon cracks [5.7-5.12], elephant crack [5.6-5.11], hear my train a' comin' [5.10a-5.12]) - these are just a few of the shaded boulders I can think of

If you end up going out to woodson and need a partner or a guide just let me know, I live right across the 67 from it and I am always looking for a reason to climb.
I agree with Bowens, the Kennedy/Hubbard guide is the best one for the area and Hubbard is one hell of a guy.

I hope you get to have some fun and get some climbing in.
Stay safe brother!

Jens K. · · San Diego, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 185

The gyms are much better than Mission Gorge. 

Kemper Brightman · · Tucson · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 1,913

Sorry Derick, but having lived and climbed in SD for a couple years i'm with Jens on this one. Sadly the best local rock climbing in San Diego is at Mesa Rim.

Thanks, Jens and Kemper - I did look into gyms and Mesa Rim is one I'll be considering.

CBD, I'll send you a PM!

I would agree to the gym is better that mission gorge but saying that the best local rock is in a gym is ridiculous.

Unless you can't climb slab and are to delicate to crack climb, then yes sick to the gym. It comes down to, if you want to actually climb then woodson is very close but if you want to have the comforts of a gym go for it.

Especially if you are wanting to experience climbing in another area, climbing gyms are always similar to each other so have decide what you would prefer.

Hector Luevano · · San Diego, CA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 10

El Cajon Mountain is great for multipitch sport. Although the approach can be brutal. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,230
Derick L wrote:

Go to Idyllwild for sure.

Danny Poceta · · the gunks · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 40
Kemper Brightman wrote:

Sadly the best local rock climbing in San Diego is at Mesa Rim.

Surely one of the most ludicrous statements ever made....?! 
Kemper Brightman · · Tucson · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 1,913
Danny P wrote: Surely one of the most ludicrous statements ever made....?! 

Let me rephrase that:  If you're willing to drive outside of San Diego (idyllwild) or hike (and be hot - el cajon, eagle Peak, Corte Madera) then you have a different story. If you're looking for a half day, need to touch real rock, brought a trad rack and are willing to hunt for shade, than woodson is the best option. If you need to touch real rock,  didn't bring a trad rack and want to climb short, slick routes and be hot, than mission gorge is the place. If you need to touch real rock, brought a crash-pad, love sweating and consider yourself a connoisseur of graffitti done by teenagers, than santee is your place. If you're looking to climb on 65ft overhanging walls with plastic holds in a temperature controlled environment while drinking a kombucha and watching people do acro yoga than the gyms are your place. 

was that any better?

ColinW · · San Diego, CA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 70
Hector Luevano wrote:

El Cajon Mountain is great for multipitch sport. Although the approach can be brutal. 

While both are true, hiking up and climbing El Cajon Mtn this time off year would not be in your best interest If you want to keep the rubber on your shoes and heat blisters off your feet. Thats a winter San Diego climbing spot. I've had bad experiences on that mountain dealing with the heat and temperature of the rock only in 70' degree weather. 

Danny Poceta · · the gunks · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 40
Kemper Brightman wrote:

Let me rephrase that:  If you're willing to drive outside of San Diego (idyllwild) or hike (and be hot - el cajon, eagle Peak, Corte Madera) then you have a different story. If you're looking for a half day, need to touch real rock, brought a trad rack and are willing to hunt for shade, than woodson is the best option. If you need to touch real rock,  didn't bring a trad rack and want to climb short, slick routes and be hot, than mission gorge is the place. If you need to touch real rock, brought a crash-pad, love sweating and consider yourself a connoisseur of graffitti done by teenagers, than santee is your place. If you're looking to climb on 65ft overhanging walls with plastic holds in a temperature controlled environment while drinking a kombucha and watching people do acro yoga than the gyms are your place. 

was that any better?

Yes

Ndumont · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 30

Haha yes. San diego has no good real rock. Just the gyms. Dont even think about exploring. Whattup Nick! I cant wait to check out the new place and hit up the hill with you

Danny P wrote:

Yes

Infinitely better, thank you.

Ndumont wrote:

Haha yes. San diego has no good real rock. Just the gyms. Dont even think about exploring. Whattup Nick! I cant wait to check out the new place and hit up the hill with you

What's up Nick!

Hell yeah, we will be ready for you! Stay safe on that trip and Jabba will be waiting to show you around the compound when you get back!

Kemper Brightman wrote:

was that any better?

Infinitely better, thank you.

"love sweating and consider yourself a connoisseur of graffiti done by teenagers" was the best part of this, you have made my morning.

C bruin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Derick, I'd be down to join you climbing at Mission Gorge or the gym!

C bruin wrote:

Derick, I'd be down to join you climbing at Mission Gorge or the gym!

Awesome, C bruin! I'll send you a PM!

straw · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0
Kemper Brightman wrote:

was that any better?

This is really, really accurate.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply