Mountain Project Logo

Camping near red rocks

Original Post
DreadsNropes Lewton · · sd · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 85

What's up people. So I'm headed to a wedding this weekend that is at red rocks. I have opted out of the $200 hotel room in search of some nature. Question is, where is there a close spot to camp out for a few days. Any info would be stellar. Have never been to the area so I don't know shit. And I figured this would be a good place to get something 

Simon W · · Nowhere Land · Joined May 2013 · Points: 55
DreadsNropes Lewton wrote:

What's up people. So I'm headed to a wedding this weekend that is at red rocks. I have opted out of the $200 hotel room in search of some nature. Question is, where is there a close spot to camp out for a few days. Any info would be stellar. Have never been to the area so I don't know shit. And I figured this would be a good place to get something 

Gonna be hot unless you camp about an hour away in the high mountains... unless sleeping in a 100 degree tent is your thing

Lots of hotel rooms are way less than $200

Adam Fleming · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 441

The Red Rocks campground near Calico Basin should be pretty empty this time of year; it's hot.  You're not gonna look good rolling up to that wedding after getting ready in a hot and dusty tent.  I'm with Simon; get a hotel room.

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

I thought the CG was closed in summer, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, yes, look for a room. You can always find cheap rooms in Vegas.

If you're set on camping, go up to Mt. Charleston and settle for a long drive to the wedding. If you have 4wd, you can exit the RR Scenic Drive at Willow Springs and get up as high as the pass where the trail to Bridge Mt. and North Peak starts. It's like 5000' or 6000' there and is not bad on a summer night.

But really, get online and find a cheap room.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

I am pretty sure (but could be wrong) that he is referencing red rocks amphitheater, since this is the Colorado sub forum. There is not really any camping near by, maybe up at golden gate state park. Even then though it is pretty hard to find camping that isn't BLM/USFS. Finding a hotel in Golden is your best bet. 

Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118

You can camp for free all along Rampart Ridge Rd which is ~1 hour south of Morrison. 

Bonus: Tons of great climbing basically walking distance from your campsite.

Phillip Morris · · Flavor Country · Joined Aug 2002 · Points: 20

If you are indeed headed to Red Rocks Amphitheater then the Chief Hosa Campground might be worth checking out.    

jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 32

Standley Lake in Westminster has camping nearby http://www.ci.westminster.co.us/ParksRec/Parks/StandleyLakeRegionalPark/Camping 

You could also camp at Chatfield Lake http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/Chatfield/Pages/Camping.aspx

Both of these spots are only 15-20 mins from Red Rocks. However, I agree with above, it is most likely going to be miserably hot and your best bet is going to be to head into the hills for an hour either up I-70 or 285 to NFS land.

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3
Robert Michael wrote:

I thought the CG was closed in summer, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, yes, look for a room. You can always find cheap rooms in Vegas.

If you're set on camping, go up to Mt. Charleston and settle for a long drive to the wedding. If you have 4wd, you can exit the RR Scenic Drive at Willow Springs and get up as high as the pass where the trail to Bridge Mt. and North Peak starts. It's like 5000' or 6000' there and is not bad on a summer night.

But really, get online and find a cheap room.

Oops, I didn't notice the forum title and just assumed Red Rocks meant in Nevada. Sorry for the pointless post, and I hope it didn't create any confusion!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Camping near red rocks"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started