Mountain Project Logo

Newbie that needs help!

Original Post
Joe Lindberg · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65

I started trad multi pitch climbing a while ago, and I have been doing some 5.6's and 5.7's.  I am thinking about doing the south face of south sixshooter as my first desert tower.  I know how to rappel on a doubled rope, but the top says a single rappel must be done, how do I do a single rappel safely, and still be able to get my rope back?  What is the most common and most safe method?

Robert Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 156
Joe Lindberg wrote:

I started trad multi pitch climbing a while ago, and I have been doing some 5.6's and 5.7's.  I am thinking about doing the south face of south sixshooter as my first desert tower.  I know how to rappel on a doubled rope, but the top says a single rappel must be done, how do I do a single rappel safely, and still be able to get my rope back?  What is the most common and most safe method?

By "rappel on a doubled rope," do you mean tying two ropes together or rappelling on two strands. Likewise, for a "single rappel," are you envisioning rappelling on a single line and having to retrieve it, or just using one rope (on two strands) to rappel?

Your wording, especially the part I put in bold, suggests to me that you might have these ideas mixed up, so clarification would help me or someone else answer your question.

Joe Lindberg · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65
Robert Michael wrote:

By "rappel on a doubled rope," do you mean tying two ropes together or rappelling on two strands. Likewise, for a "single rappel," are you envisioning rappelling on a single line and having to retrieve it, or just using one rope (on two strands) to rappel?

Your wording, especially the part I put in bold, suggests to me that you might have these ideas mixed up, so clarification would help me or someone else answer your question.

I mean rappelling using one rope double strand.  I only have one rope.

Jaren Watson · · Boise, Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 1,205

You're confused about the terminology. A single rope rappel is rapping on two strands of one rope. A double rope rappel is tying two ropes together and rapping on each strand, exactly the same as a single but double the length.

From the route description of the south face, it looks like you need two ropes to rap from the top of pitch 2, but maybe someone else knows of a different way to get down using one rope.

Don't forget to tie knots in the ends of your rope!

Trevor. · · Boise, ID · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 849

You can definitely get off the South Six Shooter by simply rappelling twice with ONE DOUBLED ROPE. Don't drag a second rope up there! When it says single rappel, it just means one rope(doubled), vs joining two ropes with a knot for longer rappels. Single strand rappels are something you'll virtually never find yourself doing to get off a climb.

Knot your ends, backup your rappel device, and have fun!

Ernest Miramontes · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

70m will get you down fine

Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 90

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/south-face/105717562

A single rope rap from the summit leads back to the top of pitch 2. A double rope rap from there gets to the ground. You may want to move the knot over the edge to help with pulling the rope.

Here's the descent beta from MP. I read:

Rap with single rope to the pitch 2 anchors. Rap with 2 ropes to the ground.

However, read the comments, lots of talk there about being able to reach the ground from the 2nd pitch bolts with 60m rope (barely). This beta may be from the days of 50m ropes.

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 40

70m rope gets you down with plenty to spare. Others have said that a 60m rope is enough but I can't verify that 

Russ Keane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 145

If you know how to rap with two ropes, why is rapping with one rope confusing?  You must be thinking the beta means something different, which it does not.  K.I.S.S.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply