Camping near Holcomb?

Original Post
yosem1te · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 15

I'm trying to plan a future trip to Holcomb Valley, and I'm looking for places to camp.  The two sites there, the Holcomb Valley campsite and Hanna Flats, both look like they book up pretty fast.  Any BLM land or other places to try and snag a campsite in the Holcomb/Big Bear area?  Thanks in advance.

Sean Haynes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 81

John you can camp almost anywhere near the crag. Literally just pick a spot and if you don't see a sign that says no trespassing or no camping then you're good.

There's always a place to camp when going there. 

yosem1te · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 15

Haha I should have just texted you.  Thanks a lot dude.

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 0

I'm planning on camping there, maybe in a bivy sack, the evening of July 23.

What's the probably range of temps for overnight lows around that time?  I'm trying to figure out which sleeping bag to bring.

wing thing · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 55
Khoi wrote:

I'm planning on camping there, maybe in a bivy sack, the evening of July 23.

What's the probably range of temps for overnight lows around that time?  I'm trying to figure out which sleeping bag to bring.

The weather forecast is at this link: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=34.2694&lon=-116.9475#.WWdyBIjyuUk

Thanks! 

Jeff Scofield · · Yorba Linda, CA · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 135

Just remember no campfires....And please if your there and you see someone having  an illegal campfire tell them to put it out!

susan peplow · · Joshua Tree · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,075
Jeff Scofield wrote:

Just remember no campfires....And please if your there and you see someone having  an illegal campfire tell them to put it out!

Yes Fire Restriction is in force!  Forest Service ranger was out placing warnings on vehicles and advising of fire restriction.  It's a bust legally and socially.  NO FIRES.  

While we're at it, please pick up your trash and human waste too.   If this was such an obvious thing I wouldn't be mentioning it.   

Weekends have been crazy busy with the low lot having as many as 30+ cars,  multiple campers littered about including the brain trusts that like to bivy right in front of the trail head.  Campers with high clearance and 4x4 near the crags as well as the north lot.  Mid-week has a handful of people or a few posse' floating around.  Still plenty to do for everyone.  

The days have been beautiful but the late afternoons is the magic hour.  Sun gets low, lots of shade options and pretty dreamy.

Enjoy!  Pack it in, Pack it out please.  

I won't be making any fires, nor am I a smoker.  I'll have some wag bags and I'll be packing out everything I bring in.

Here in southwestern BC we are having an usually drier than average summer, which is exacerbating our wildfire situation.  It pisses me off that some people are STILL burning campfires and smoking in wilderness despite a ban on both.  

So I sure as hell will not be one of them!

Oh, and if any one wants to climb on Monday, July 24 and/or Tuesday, July 25 I'm still looking for someone to climb with....

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/113321027/partner-needed-for-holcomb-mon-july-24-tue-july-25

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply