Mountain Project Logo

Russian Terms

Original Post
MarkDW · · Columbus, GA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 20

Hey all. So question on terminology in Russian from English. Any Russians or Russian speakers in here have the terms? I'm just assuming that it wouldn't be a direct translation from things like "Pitch, Lead, Trad, arete, belay,etc." would anyone be willing to compile a list? Just the basics would do!

thanks!

John John · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Some times it makes me wonder if some people have ever heard of the google search function.

JFM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,828

Very little there. (There's this http://blackalpinist.com/club/dict/ )

And probably it wouldn't help much anyhow if the OP doesn't read Cyrillic (unless the glossary had transliteration or phonetic pronunciation guide -- NB it doesn't)

but in general google is good

Lena chita · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 250
MarkDW wrote:

Hey all. So question on terminology in Russian from English. Any Russians or Russian speakers in here have the terms? I'm just assuming that it wouldn't be a direct translation from things like "Pitch, Lead, Trad, arete, belay,etc." would anyone be willing to compile a list? Just the basics would do!

thanks!

That's  strange selection of terms...

Pitch - "verevka" ( means "rope"), if you mean a pitch as in rope length. If you mean pitch as in "a climb", it would be "trassa"
Lead - doesn't translate well. In Russian it is all "climbing". If you are leading, you would say "climbing with bottom belay", if you toprope/follow, it would be "climbing with top belay". So, to climb with a bottom belay = lezt' s nizhnej strahovkoj
Trad -- no clue. The gear is referred to as "zhelezo" (metal)
Arete - greben'
Belay- strahovka (literally means insurance)

Lena chita wrote:

That's  strange selection of terms...

Pitch - "verevka" ( means "rope"), if you mean a pitch as in rope length. If you mean pitch as in "a climb", it would be "trassa"
Lead - doesn't translate well. In Russian it is all "climbing". If you are leading, you would say "climbing with bottom belay", if you toprope/follow, it would be "climbing with top belay". So, to climb with a bottom belay = lezt' s nizhnej strahovkoj
Trad -- no clue. The gear is referred to as "zhelezo" (metal)
Arete - greben'
Belay- strahovka (literally means insurance)

Awesome! Thanks! I've got a small background in Russian so I can read/write in Cyrillic, but still need my dictionary handy. 

John John wrote:

Some times it makes me wonder if some people have ever heard of the google search function.

Ya, tried it, but some terms don't translate directly and I would rather have a random internet person respond on a climbing forum. I do have a slight background in Russian, but haven't had to use it in a few years..

JFM wrote:

Very little there. (There's this http://blackalpinist.com/club/dict/ )

And probably it wouldn't help much anyhow if the OP doesn't read Cyrillic (unless the glossary had transliteration or phonetic pronunciation guide -- NB it doesn't)

but in general google is good

Ok just clicked that and wish I would have found that!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply