Mountain Project Logo

Kyrgyzstan

Original Post
Michelle S. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Hi guys,

Have any of you climbed in Kyrgyzstan? I am thinking to go travel there, and thought to do some climbing as well. I wanted to check how many crags and sport climbing routs are there? Is it easy to get there? Any information you have will be great!

I am also looking for climbing partner so if you're interested let me know.

Thanks!

trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 20

While not a direct answer to your questions; check out the video: The road from Karakol by Kyle Dempster. Chronicling his adventure through Kyrgyzstan.  Really inspiring film by an amazing person.  

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190
trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 20

^^^Ha, someone from Chicago implying that the world is dangerous. What is Chicago in the top five murder cities in the world,  don't go somewhere because tommy got kidnapped there 15 years ago.  Sorry for high jacking the thread but that was too much.  Best of luck with your travels. I have never been but climbed on Denali with a guy from the nederlands that was super stoked about it.  

Elina Kreuzberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I travelled there in the summer around two years ago, there was a nice sport climbing crag not too far from Bishkek called Chongkurchak, the drive is about 45 minutes and there is almost no approach, I don't remember how many climbs there were but I don't think it was a lot. One thing to note though is it gets really really really hot in the summer. 

Enjoy your trip!

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190
trailridge wrote:

^^^Ha, someone from Chicago implying that the world is dangerous. What is Chicago in the top five murder cities in the world,  don't go somewhere because tommy got kidnapped there 15 years ago.  Sorry for high jacking the thread but that was too much.  Best of luck with your travels. I have never been but climbed on Denali with a guy from the nederlands that was super stoked about it.  

Chicago has the singular misfortune of possessing a large urban population but isn't a particularly dangerous place, even among US cities.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/highest-murder-rate-cities

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/chicagos-murder-rate-is-rising-but-it-isnt-unprecedented/

The violence is also highly concentrated in terms of geographic area and socioeconomics and is more a factor of inequity than it reflects any sort of widespread generalized crime.  To state what should be obvious: one is significantly safer visiting Chicago than a destablized central Asian nation with significant insurgent movements and ethnic conflict.

Michelle S. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Hi guys, thanks from replying!

Well don't worry, I've heard about that terrible kidnap, and I know that times have changed. I'm from Israel so I also know not to let other people's fear stop me from living my life and experience new adventures (and my fear is included).

Thank you :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply