Current conditions in the Enchantments?

Original Post
iradner Radner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 5

My climbing partner and I are heading up through Washington in the next week or so and were thinking of climbing some stuff in the enchantments (prusik peak, etc.). Does anybody know what the current weather / snow conditions are? If climbing there is currently possible without ice / snow gear? Thanks! 

Hector Luevano · · San Diego, CA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0
iradner Radner wrote:

My climbing partner and I are heading up through Washington in the next week or so and were thinking of climbing some stuff in the enchantments (prusik peak, etc.). Does anybody know what the current weather / snow conditions are? If climbing there is currently possible without ice / snow gear? Thanks! 

Wife and I were up there a couple of weeks ago. There was a bit of snow heading up Aasgard Pass, but totally doable without crampons. We had microspikes. You can make it up most of the pass staying off the snow and scrambling up rocks. Once you make it over the pass, it's pretty much hiking in full snow the entire way to Prusik. The microspikes came in clutch, but I think you could do fine without. Plenty of people climbing Prusik. 

Nick Young · · Spokane, WA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 5

Hey! Conditions are good right now. A buddy and I through-ran it last week in just our running shoes - spikes were not needed. You can avoid 99% of the snow if you stay to the left on Aasgard, after that you'll be in some Sun-cupped snowfield all the way to Prusik Pass. Definitely gorgeous right now though!

Kyle Elliott · · Everett, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 360

thru hiked on Sunday, most of the snow is gone, save for the usual packed fields after topping Aasgard. things are melting very rapidly, but there may still be a snowfield at the base of Prusik upon rappelling.

Nick Young · · Spokane, WA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 5

@KyleElliot

Just did Prusik on Monday, the snowfield was there but only for about 10 meters. By this point it's likely gone - so I'd recommend leaving the crampons at home!

Lisa Stengel · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

I was up to Prusik on 7/21, did a loop up from the Stuart Trailhead & down the Snow Lake trail. Big day, with beautiful views & Solid Gold was quality climbing :)

Snow was not an issue. There are only a few short sections required to pass on snow, all packed down well. I wore just my approach shoes & was fine. 

Happy climbing! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply